Oats, rye grass, winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

linebacker":2mwg69dl said:
Is there a product that has all 3 mixed together or do you just mix when planting. Also, do you plant all 3 at the same time?
i would buy all 3 sep.an then mix them in the grain drill.an i would follow indevidual seeding rates pre acre.like for wheat id seed 90lb to ac.oats 96lbs.rye grass 40lbs to an ac.

Have any of you seeded forage turnips with grains or ryegrass in the fall? I know some guys in Oregon are using forage turnips so they can graze once or twice in the fall before winter sets in. The graze the ryegrass/grain in the sping when the weather starts to warm up and the grass starts growing.

I have never planted wheat in the mix, but oats and rhye grass is standard procedure for winter grazing over here.

I broadcast the oats first and lightly disk or rake it in and then plant the rhye and just roll it onto a firm seedbed.

I don't know if this makes any difference or not since I've never been very successful at getting a good stand of Rye grass but aren't the germination rates different between the three types? When I plant Oats it usually comes up within 7 to 9 days and never looks back. Rye grass, on the other hand, seems to take forever to break through and grows rather slowly. Where I'm headed with this is won't the oats crowd out the slower greminating seeds?

Earl Thigpen":1j1jb8m9 said:
I don't know if this makes any difference or not since I've never been very successful at getting a good stand of Rye grass but aren't the germination rates different between the three types? When I plant Oats it usually comes up within 7 to 9 days and never looks back. Rye grass, on the other hand, seems to take forever to break through and grows rather slowly. Where I'm headed with this is won't the oats crowd out the slower greminating seeds?

I'm not sure it's possible to crowd out rye - be it grain or grass! :lol: :lol:

msscamp":2zr3lwro said:
Earl Thigpen":2zr3lwro said:

Well, that's why I led into this with the statement "I've never been able to get a good stand of Rye ...." I've tried for several year to overseed my coastal fields with Rye and never got any of it to come up. Two years I planted Rye in a fertilized clear field and never got it to come up enough to turn the cows on it which is why I asked about the germ. differences. Just seemed like it took weeks for it to show green and when it did it just would not grow. Maybe it's because we just don't have Winters here in this part of Texas - maybe it's just too darn'd hot. Don't have the problem with Oats or Winter Wheat, though.

I notice some of the highway construction crews around here use Rye as ground cover and same thing there. Long germination, slow growth but your right, if you wait long enough (two months or so) eventually it does come on. Two months of Winter and we're ready to get back in the fields. In fact, I just prepared one of my fields for Hay Grazer last weekend. Probably drill next week. First cuttin' for hay will probably be in April.

In fact, a friend of mine asked about planting something for his horses for the Winter. He wanted to plant Rye (which he did). I asked him how sucessful he was last Summer and if he was going to do it again and his response was "HELL NO, didn't get enough up to run a billy goat".

Thanks for your come back. I'm always up for learnin' something new so if any of you have any suggestions on what I might be doin' wrong - say so. :)

Never heard of that problem. Give rye enough water and it grows without soil. Maybe you are planting oates and wheat to heavy. Maybe the rye germenates but cannot grow because of to much shade. You should cut the amount of each seed by a third, or half if only oats and rye.

novatech":3pxekl1c said:
Never heard of that problem. Give rye enough water and it grows without soil. Maybe you are planting oates and wheat to heavy. Maybe the rye germenates but cannot grow because of to much shade. You should cut the amount of each seed by a third, or half if only oats and rye.

Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I've never planted any combination of the three. Always planted Oats OR Winter Wheat OR Rye grass but never all three at the same time. That's the reason I asked about the different germination for the different types of plants.

Planting all three at the same time must be sucessful, though, if you folks are doing it. It's just the Rye grass I have trouble with.

linebacker":1leai6q7 said:
Is there a product that has all 3 mixed together or do you just mix when planting. Also, do you plant all 3 at the same time?

Turner Seed out of Breckenridge Texas will mix it any way you like it. They even throw clover in or anything else. It is a long walk to Breckenridge for you but it is for me too. I am already planning the trip there for my spring seed. They'll save me enough nickels in fuel to make the trip. The only thing I will be out is time. But I will get good seed.

Earl Thigpen":1it0a4i5 said:
msscamp":1it0a4i5 said:
Earl Thigpen":1it0a4i5 said:

Well, that's why I led into this with the statement "I've never been able to get a good stand of Rye ...." I've tried for several year to overseed my coastal fields with Rye and never got any of it to come up. Two years I planted Rye in a fertilized clear field and never got it to come up enough to turn the cows on it which is why I asked about the germ. differences. Just seemed like it took weeks for it to show green and when it did it just would not grow. Maybe it's because we just don't have Winters here in this part of Texas - maybe it's just too darn'd hot. Don't have the problem with Oats or Winter Wheat, though.

I notice some of the highway construction crews around here use Rye as ground cover and same thing there. Long germination, slow growth but your right, if you wait long enough (two months or so) eventually it does come on. Two months of Winter and we're ready to get back in the fields. In fact, I just prepared one of my fields for Hay Grazer last weekend. Probably drill next week. First cuttin' for hay will probably be in April.

In fact, a friend of mine asked about planting something for his horses for the Winter. He wanted to plant Rye (which he did). I asked him how sucessful he was last Summer and if he was going to do it again and his response was "be nice NO, didn't get enough up to run a billy goat".

Thanks for your come back. I'm always up for learnin' something new so if any of you have any suggestions on what I might be doin' wrong - say so. :)

One reason the rye takes so long to put out a lot of green is that it's a perennial, alot of it's first growth is in putting down a root system. The wheat & oats are annuals so most of their growth is put into trying to reach a point where it can make seeds, more growth above ground.

;-)

Any reason you can't split each variety into it's own paddock or groups of paddocks. It has always worked better for me when I didn't combine ryegrass and wheat as apposed to when I did. For instance at the moment I am grazing by cows on the cereal rye because it is still growing even with the cold weather. The ryegrass and wheat which I grazed in the late fall is recovering and I can hit with fert in March and graze till late spring. This works for me but I don't know if it would work as well where you are located.

I just found this site. I was hoping to rely on rye grass this spring for cows.
Mid October I hand broadcast (handheld yard fertilizer whirly bird) 10 sacks of rye on 12 acres. Not a lot came up, so my question is does it need fertilizer now Feb 23? I'm about out of hay for cows. Here we are going to get rain Saturday, so I thought about pulling a ton of liquid across it tomorrow before the rain. I hope it'll help the Jiggs, but not sure if this is too early? What do you think?

Liveoak77":10ffr1d6 said:
I just found this site. I was hoping to rely on rye grass this spring for cows.
Mid October I hand broadcast (handheld yard fertilizer whirly bird) 10 sacks of rye on 12 acres. Not a lot came up, so my question is does it need fertilizer now Feb 23? I'm about out of hay for cows. Here we are going to get rain Saturday, so I thought about pulling a ton of liquid across it tomorrow before the rain. I hope it'll help the Jiggs, but not sure if this is too early? What do you think?

A lot of factors can lead to a weak stand but I have found that I have to lightly disk or drag the pasture and then run a cultipacker after broadcasting to get good seed to soil contact otherwise I get limited growth. To be safe you might want to buy some of that high $ hay to get you thu to WSG growth.

Latest posts