Oats and Rye

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We planted some couple acre plots of oats and rye at different places mainly to hunt over. Never really worried about it until this year not sure if its because of how expensive it was or because it is SOOO dry but how long will the seed stay good for with out rain? Just planted this weekend.

I have heard all kinds of different stuff so far. Most of it was... I got rain two weeks after I planted and it worked great or It never came up. No real time periods like ... stayed in the ground for 2 months and got rain and it came up. :?

Here is a real time story for you. The oats/ryegrass combination is one I used for the last several years now, I usually irrigate mine because i live in a very arid environment. This year I had seed left over and decided to plant some dry land that the plan was to put irrigation up. Never got around to the irrigation because drought related jobs kept me too busy.

Anyway it was planted in March, got the first sprinkle of rain (0.1") in June and it started to germinate, got very little rain after that and I already had one decent grazing about three weeks ago and will likely get another if we get some mositure soon. Offcourse it won't produce without rain, but its extremely hardy and will tolerate a drought very well and bounce back remarkably if conditions improve.

the seed will lay in the ground till they get enough rain.an then they will come up.weve had wheat seed to lay in the ground 3wks an come up .but the thing is you better hope to get enough rain to keep them growing an not die.

I sowed about 800 lbs. of wheat & 400 lbs. of rye 4 weeks ago.Today is the 1st rain we had sense than.
We will see what comes up.

Mat Man":zyikkkhd said:
I sowed about 800 lbs. of wheat & 400 lbs. of rye 4 weeks ago.Today is the 1st rain we had sense than.
We will see what comes up.

It probably will come up if the ground was bone dry. Like Bigbull said, what you don't want is a sprinkle that will wet the seed and not meet the bottom moisture. Its got to meet or it could sprout, wilt and die. I planted till midnight last night in powder in hopes the weatherman was right. 90% chance of rain all day and only a few drops. Its raining now and I hope I get at least a 1/2 inch or I'll be replanting.

edit - replaced will with could - I forget no absolutes in nature

I did the same as you Jo. Drilled 55 bags of rye in dust yesterday. Not but a few drops of rain so far today but the radar map I looked at a few minutes ago showed a rain front moving across this way. We're all hoping and praying.

Edit to say I looked at radar again and rain front still coming. Coming your way too Jo.

ga. prime":2aif0e90 said:
I did the same as you Jo. Drilled 55 bags of rye in dust yesterday. Not but a few drops of rain so far today but the radar map I looked at a few minutes ago showed a rain front moving across this way. We're all hoping and praying.

Edit to say I looked at radar again and rain front still coming. Coming your way to Jo.

I looked at the national map also. Don't see how it can miss either of you. I couldn't stand it anylonger, this afternoon I went out and dug to check my oats I planted 2 1/2 weeks ago. Found the seed with a little white tip coming out. Relieved to know I probably won't have to replant. Now we need some cold weather to take care of any army worms that might be eyeing it.

:banana: :banana: It started raining about seven and is still raining. As Hannibal Smith on the A team would say, "I love it when a plan comes together". Those rare moments are wonderful. ;-) :lol2:

Brute 23":2iyoqkh8 said:
Send some of that luck this way... :D

Thanks for the responses.

Luck is what it was. One gauge field got 3 inches and another 3.5". I finished planting today and it started raining again at dark. Now if I can get really lucky and have a fertilizer truck turn over in front of the farm I'll be in good shape. :nod:

Ok, so we've never planted oats before but we're giving it a shot this year. Our goal is to cut it for hay in the spring. When would ya'll recommened we plant? Should we let it grow all winter, I know we ought to cut in the dough stage, but will we get more regrowth or one and done? Would ya'll plant straight rye or straight oats or a mix of both for hay? How about grazing, anybody graze oats? thanks for the info, I can tell ya about grass but I haven't a clue about oats. Except oat hay is pricey.

Plant it now, 100# per acre. Fertilize as soil test recommends. Graze when it gets about 8 inches tall. Stop grazing end of February early March. Topdress with nitrogen. Bale when it reaches dough stage.

Ditto what vett said. Here, the magic date is October 10th. Anytime after this is good. Key is to get the fall moisture as we are normally dry in the fall. Cows love to graze oats but we don't have as much grazing them here as we do rye or wheat. Dry falls seems to limit the growth, then we get wet weather but cold which again limits oats growth. Rye and wheat just seems to plug right along through these harsh periods and seems to give better grazing. But for hay, oats is the ticket. Of course, these observations are just for my area.

Latest posts