Oasis in the middle of the Desert

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
As I've said before- this old Great American Desert relys on water so much...Water table is up this year- and the springs are really holding up good..

One of the springs that often is dry by this time of year- running a good stream out of the sidehill....
July30th-CommunityPasture046.jpg

One of the two waterholes/fishing holes I drive by going to either of the pastures....This was a good perch hole until someone stuck northerns in it....
July30th-CommunityPasture047.jpg

The other pond and Fish and Game camping spot...Both these holes are spring fed- and were created when they were dug out for gravel to build the old Glasgow AFB back in the 50's...
July30th-CommunityPasture048.jpg

Even got an "outhouse on the hill"- which is handy when I have the Grandkids with me while checking cows......Fish and Game stock this with trout.....
July30th-CommunityPasture050.jpg

Fifteen miles out in the middle of nowhere- and you run into the old Glasgow AFB which was closed in the 70's...It has one of the larger runways in the world- was used for B-52's thru the Vietnam period- and was once considered as an alternate landing strip for the space shuttle....Runway is now leased by Boeing for flighttesting...
July30th-CommunityPasture051.jpg

Housing at the old Base (now called Saint Marie)....100's and 100's of housing units sitting empty :( - with about 200 occupied- mostly by retired military folks- many of which spend a lot of time at the fishing holes...
July30th-CommunityPasture052.jpg

Neat pics. When my son first went to college in Amarillo, he lived in an old military base. The dorms were old barracks and he had an entire one to himself. Looked a lot like your last pic. It was really quiet and kinda creepy out there. Same thing, hundreds of empty houses. The college leased some of them out to students. It always reminded me of The Stand that Stephen King book where there's a world wide epidemic. I kept expecting to see manaquins. I don't know how he stood it, but he seemed to like living out there. There was a parade field in front of his barracks, long since deserted. Not many students lived out there and they closed them and then Steven had to get an apartment in town. He lived out there for two years, though.

Looks like you have good grasses, too. Pretty country. I'd like to visit up that way as I have never been.

Do they rent those houses to just anybody? Sure would like to spend the summer there-at least July and Aug.

peg4x4":1ntsdsjo said:
Do they rent those houses to just anybody? Sure would like to spend the summer there-at least July and Aug.

Most the folks have bought their houses there-and the majority are retired military.... There are some absentee owners that rent out for long periods-- but I'm not sure there is any available for short term rent...
You could contact the Saint Marie Condo Association in Saint Marie MT at 406-524-3336...

http://stmariecondoassn.tripod.com/

Some of those retired military think they've died and went to heaven...Quiet little community right in the heart of some beautiful hunting country- just a few miles from all kinds of fishing holes- and 35-40 miles from huge Fort Peck Lake and Nelson Reservoir...
And at one time you could buy those units very cheap...

The only drawback is the cold winters and some years with snowdrifts as high as the houses...

Oldtimer":39cepjoh said:
peg4x4":39cepjoh said:

Most the folks have bought their houses there-and the majority are retired military.... There are some absentee owners that rent out for long periods-- but I'm not sure there is any available for short term rent...
You could contact the Saint Marie Condo Association in Saint Marie MT at 406-524-3336...

Some of those retired military think they've died and went to heaven...Quiet little community right in the heart of some beautiful hunting country- just a few miles from all kinds of fishing holes- and 35-40 miles from huge Fort Peck Lake and Nelson Reservoir...

The only drawback is the cold winters and some years with snowdrifts as high as the houses...[/quote] yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me.... i dont like too be couped up too long . ;-)

alacattleman":2fi4axcn said:
Oldtimer":2fi4axcn said:
peg4x4":2fi4axcn said:

The only drawback is the cold winters and some years with snowdrifts as high as the houses...[/quote] yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me.... i dont like too be couped up too long . ;-)

Then its ice fishing and hunting coyotes off snowmobile time... ;-)

Latest posts