Oak Hollow

Help Support CattleToday:

Have never used a bull directly but have comm cows out of two of his bulls that we bought as bred heifers that are now 11 and nursing calves. I've spoken with him a few times and toured the herd several years ago; the cattle are no nonsense and work in a fescue environment.

I wasn't aware of them until I ran across some bred heifers on CL. Although purebred they are selling as commercial. They do have registered for sale. Looking at their bull battery most of them are made up of bulls with a large majority of oak hollow breeding in their pedigree. Looks like they've been doing their own thing for a long time. Very interesting.

I wasn't aware of them until I ran across some bred heifers on CL. Although purebred they are selling as commercial. They do have registered for sale. Looking at their bull battery most of them are made up of bulls with a large majority of oak hollow breeding in their pedigree. Looks like they've been doing their own thing for a long time. Very interesting.
If Kenneth is selling them directly I'd take him at his word that they will be what he says they are.

If Kenneth is selling them directly I'd take him at his word that they will be what he says they are.
It appears the lower end gets sold as commercial, the better ones are sold registered. He has 4 bred heifers due around Feb. for $7500. I wouldn't hesitate on them except that I'm phasing out commercial and replacing with registered.

Neighbor has had some from him, live within an hour of the farm.
I had not heard any complaints.

Is anyone here familiar with the Oak Hollow Angus farm in Kentucky?

Yes, we get their sales books. They have nice looking animals. We would definitely purchase animals from them if we were big timer rich folks.

Yes, we get their sales books. They have nice looking animals. We would definitely purchase animals from them if we were big timer rich folks.
They have some private treaty breds that aren't priced too high. Cost more than sale barn junk, but I'm sure it would be money well spent.

That being said I have a few sale barn cows that have done me a good job over the years, but they weren't bottom end either.

They have some private treaty breds that aren't priced too high. Cost more than sale barn junk, but I'm sure it would be money well spent.

That being said I have a few sale barn cows that have done me a good job over the years, but they weren't bottom end either.

If it's look nice like what your looking for than I'd buy them. I normally buy stuff I like. Haha.
I'd think they would have some nice animals even not the high dollar ones.
Really just depends on what your goal. I would definitely pay more than sell barn prices for a nicer animal.
You can get nice animals at the sale barn never know what may come through there. You just need know what your looking at, looking for, and your goals. I guess maybe so. Sounds good. Haha

Mr. Lowe and his son are honest, no-nonsense, hard working folks, and breed with purpose and vision. I haven't sampled their genetics, but have spent a day touring their herd. They are one of the few breeders left carrying forth the original Graham Angus genetics in those pedigrees. I would imagine Ebenezer knows more about the herd than I do, but they seem to hit a nice sweet spot between economic terminal traits, and cows not completely propped up to support those same traits.

Mr. Lowe and his son are honest, no-nonsense, hard working folks, and breed with purpose and vision. I haven't sampled their genetics, but have spent a day touring their herd. They are one of the few breeders left carrying forth the original Graham Angus genetics in those pedigrees. I would imagine Ebenezer knows more about the herd than I do, but they seem to hit a nice sweet spot between economic terminal traits, and cows not completely propped up to support those same traits.
Thanks for the input. You and Eb seem to know a lot about the kind of cattle I lean towards.

Been a while since I've seen you on here. Hope all is going well.

I've had the privilege of traveling to quite a few herds across the country. I love seeing folks operations, talking genetics and forages, and taking home some nugget. Having imported cattle over the years, I have certainly had some successes, but nothing will move your herd forward like saving sons from your best proven cows. Nobody manages cattle exactly the same, and there ain't no one right way, but there sure are a lot of ways to screw it up! If anything we've put too much pressure on our herd over the years. Pressure is good, but we've also learned that you can make them too small to optimize profit. Most breeders do the opposite.

I get about 50 sale catalogues a year. First thing I do is open them up and see how many cattle in the breeding tree have their own names in the pedigrees. I throw 45 or more directly in the trash. Besides buying the Senepol bulls a couple years ago for a cross breeding program, haven't brought in an outside bull in 6 years.