NY Times slams meat

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
:mad:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/healt ... ml?_r=1&em

If you make it down to the 11th paragraph, you'll find this:
A question that arises from observational studies like this one is whether meat is in fact a hazard or whether other factors associated with meat-eating are the real culprits in raising death rates. The subjects in the study who ate the most red meat had other less-than-healthful habits. They were more likely to smoke, weigh more for their height, and consume more calories and more total fat and saturated fat. They also ate less fruits, vegetables and fiber; took fewer vitamin supplements; and were less physically active.

But higher up in the story the author takes a moment to bash us all:
Anyone who worries about global well-being has yet another reason to consume less red meat. Dr. Popkin, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina, said that a reduced dependence on livestock for food could help to save the planet from the ravaging effects of environmental pollution, global warming and the depletion of potable water.

"In the United States," Dr. Popkin wrote, "livestock production accounts for 55 percent of the erosion process, 37 percent of pesticides applied, 50 percent of antibiotics consumed, and a third of total discharge of nitrogen and phosphorus to surface water."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:roll: :roll: :roll:
The other day one of my professors was blaming cattle for world hunger. I just rolled my eyes and called her a dumb *ss.

*Edit* What happened to the "be nice" feature?

Well, no one likes bad publicity for their own bread and butter...did you see that skull and crossbones graphic?!

But here is what stood out to me from the article and I don't disagree with it: "To prevent premature deaths related to red and processed meats, Dr. Popkin suggested in an interview that people should eat a hamburger only once or twice a week instead of every day, a small steak once a week instead of every other day, and a hot dog every month and a half instead of once a week."

Who are these people that eat red meat so often? Do you? I certainly don't and I have a chest freezer full of it! The truth is that we need variety in our diet and some people really do eat red meat every day in large portions. No one needs that much saturated fat. Heart disease runs in my family, how about yours?

I know beef is our industry, but come on, should we really eat it every day? Eggs, pork, tuna, ice cream? Shouldn't be eating those things every day either as far as I know. Variety is the spice of life.

I hope articles like this don't prevent people from giving up red meat all together, but I really don't think they will. It's too delicious and there are some great health benefits too like iron, protein, and beneficial fatty acids.

Flame suit ready...

2/B or not 2/B":376k86br said:
Well, no one likes bad publicity for their own bread and butter...did you see that skull and crossbones graphic?!

But here is what stood out to me from the article and I don't disagree with it: "To prevent premature deaths related to red and processed meats, Dr. Popkin suggested in an interview that people should eat a hamburger only once or twice a week instead of every day, a small steak once a week instead of every other day, and a hot dog every month and a half instead of once a week."

Who are these people that eat red meat so often? Do you? I certainly don't and I have a chest freezer full of it! The truth is that we need variety in our diet and some people really do eat red meat every day in large portions. No one needs that much saturated fat. Heart disease runs in my family, how about yours?

I know beef is our industry, but come on, should we really eat it every day? Eggs, pork, tuna, ice cream? Shouldn't be eating those things every day either as far as I know. Variety is the spice of life.

I hope articles like this don't prevent people from giving up red meat all together, but I really don't think they will. It's too delicious and there are some great health benefits too like iron, protein, and beneficial fatty acids.

Flame suit ready...

I think you're right on the money. Most things that are good for you in moderation can eventually kill you in excess. The guy that starts every day with a rare steak and 3 or 4 eggs is likely to have some serious health problems down the road. On the other hand, the guy who lives on bean sprouts, soy milk and vitamin supplements isn't going to be the picture of health either. A well balanced diet that includes beef and other meats is the way to go, IMO.

2/B or not 2/B":2wrg1xda said:

Flame suit ready...

Did you intend to say what I highlighted?

Why didn't this Dr Popkin urge people to get some exercise and eat some fruit and veggies? That is my beef with him.
I eat red meat at least twice a day, no kidding. I also work physically and get a good many salads and vegetables.

VanC":206oe7st said:
On the other hand, the guy who lives on bean sprouts, soy milk and vitamin supplements isn't going to be the picture of health either. A well balanced diet that includes beef and other meats is the way to go, IMO.

I have a friend who is a professional climber and used to be a vegetarian. He couldn't maintain his strength and muscle mass without animal protein. He looked and felt unhealthy no matter how many different protein supplements he tried, so he put meat back in his diet and felt 100% better. I know a few other former vegetarians who found meat free diets to be unhealthy.

John250, the author of the article didn't put it as clearly as you, but he did indicate that those who were eating the most meat were also the ones smoking, overeating in general, and NOT exercising. In other words, they were making unhealthy choices overall.

I don't think the issue really is red meat. It's all of the processed meats that are injected with fat and loaded with salt to make them taste decent. That is what they should be preaching against, not a good steak.

As a confirmed carnivore that eats meat at every meal, I'll stick with!!!!!!!!

FarmGirl10":2trhy0y9 said:
I don't think the issue really is red meat. It's all of the processed meats that are injected with fat and loaded with salt to make them taste decent. That is what they should be preaching against, not a good steak.

Amen.

Don't blame the food-do you know anyone who has gotten sick just because they eat meat everyday? no. The people that get sick are getting sick because they eat meat in addition to sitting on their lazy a**es all day, never exercising, and stuffing their face at every meal. Everything is fine in moderation and as part of a healthy lifestyle.

Moderation in all things.

Remember that guy who turned himself into a hog by eating every meal, every day at McDonalds? Just a few weeks ago, another guy lost 30 pounds by eating at McDonalds. Go figger.

That meat-eating schedule the guy mentions is pretty close to how we do it, but we throw in some sausage and bacon to fill in the blank spots. As a general rule, I'd say we eat beef every day.

I had my heart attack in 2003, and had NONE of the traditional risk factors. All the docs could come up with was "family heritage has to start somewhere". So, I'm not much of a believer in specific causes for specific effects when it comes to health issues.

It's extremists like Pokin that get the attention. And the NY Times is made up of extremists. So if you like to read CRAP buy the rag.
IMO if people are going to be fat and lazy there are lots of ways to get there without the aid of red meat. Blame it on chips, candy, chocolate, pastry, dairy, soft drinks, beer :cry2: That's why so many convenience stores, most people can't pass up a snack. 8) The "bleeding hearts" aren't out to close up convenience stores, they like to pick on fast foods and red meat. It's ridiculous, those that are overweight are going to be with or without fast foods. :roll:

Jim62":26m2muy7 said:
Moderation in all things.

Remember that guy who turned himself into a hog by eating every meal, every day at McDonalds? Just a few weeks ago, another guy lost 30 pounds by eating at McDonalds. Go figger.

That meat-eating schedule the guy mentions is pretty close to how we do it, but we throw in some sausage and bacon to fill in the blank spots. As a general rule, I'd say we eat beef every day.

I had my heart attack in 2003, and had NONE of the traditional risk factors. All the docs could come up with was "family heritage has to start somewhere". So, I'm not much of a believer in specific causes for specific effects when it comes to health issues.

The guy who made Supersize Me didn't really gain weight. He gained a few pounds but he wasn't a real fatty at the end. Instead, he had elevated liver enzymes, high cholesterol, blood pressure and a host of other problems, including a strange addition to those foods. He'd get all moody before and feel satisfied and calm after eating McDonald's foods. Those feelings of satisfaction and calm were shorter and shorter between meals. Not to mention that his GF reported that he had some sexual dysfuntion.

We just re-watched it this weekend. Nothing on television. I think it should be required viewing for all health classes.

Lammie":1bk2bb1l said:
He'd get all moody before and feel satisfied and calm after eating McDonald's foods. Those feelings of satisfaction and calm were shorter and shorter between meals.

Ya reckon they're putting nicotine in quarter pounders?

john250":3oq86rfw said:
Lammie":3oq86rfw said:
He'd get all moody before and feel satisfied and calm after eating McDonald's foods. Those feelings of satisfaction and calm were shorter and shorter between meals.

Ya reckon they're putting nicotine in quarter pounders?

Maybe it's something in that kangaroo meat...

Latest posts