NY Bull Test - 3rd weigh period

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":7k1ihlew said:
Once a bull starts the test, he cannot be removed, except if he dies or gets so sick, he has to be pulled out of the pens, and is unable to "socialize" back into the pens.
If we allowed poor doing bulls to be pulled, it would affect the total "competition' of the test.
The Index is:
30% x ADG Index
30% x WPDA Index
5% x Backfat Index
5% x Intramuscular Fat
30% x Adj 365 day ribeye area per 100# body weight
= FINAL INDEX
And they have to have at least a 95% index. Continentals compete seperate from British.
I came up with that formula years ago, and the committee agreed with it. It makes the test not just a horse race. It takes growth & carcass info into account.

Thank you. Understanding the index is important to buyers. Sometimes the high indexing bull isn't what someone is looking for.

Frankie":3b8ifmkc said:
It would be interesting to see how many of these producers have tested bulls before....and how many will test again. It's a learning situation. I'd encourage those that didn't do so well to re-evaluate their management program and genetics and go again next year.

I got the email & report; thanks, Jeanne.
Yes, this has been a very eye-opening experience for many new consignors. I have had numerous emails & phone conversations with several newbies. They understand they need to improve & do things differently - just being able to see how their bull is doing against others. As we've mentioned before, many producers are "barn blind" and can't see how poorly their cattle are doing at home. I really enjoy the bull test. Been participating in it for over 25 years.

good job on your bull, Jeanne.

just curious....you said he was 3rd overall.......which were the top 2?

txag":9mwfauio said:
good job on your bull, Jeanne.

just curious....you said he was 3rd overall.......which were the top 2?
Thanks (he's a Macho son :D )
This is strictly based on ADG. Mine was top overall thru last weigh period, but this weigh period an Angus bull #64 has a gain of 5.04 (but only a WPDA of a 2.50 - light weight bull with compensitory gain)
and the 2nd high gainer is Hereford #34 with an ADG of 4.99# and a WPDA of 3.27 (big 7.2 frame bull)

Latest posts