Nutrition values of native grasses

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
Does anyone have information or a website that they can refer me to regarding the nutrition values of native grasses at various stages of maturity.

Specifically the grasses that I am interested in are; sideoats grama, green sprangletop, indiangrass, switchgrass, big bluestem and little bluestem. Also one introduced variety that interests me is WW-B Dahl bluestem.

I would like to reseed some of my pasture and I would like to base my selections on the nutrition value of the grasses rather than just volume produced.

J+

J+ Cattle":23zjt6a7 said:
Does anyone have information or a website that they can refer me to regarding the nutrition values of native grasses at various stages of maturity.

Specifically the grasses that I am interested in are; sideoats grama, green sprangletop, indiangrass, switchgrass, big bluestem and little bluestem. Also one introduced variety that interests me is WW-B Dahl bluestem.

I would like to reseed some of my pasture and I would like to base my selections on the nutrition value of the grasses rather than just volume produced.

J+

Most of native grasses will be at or less than about 10% crude protein as baled hay. Check with the AG sites at TAMU, KSU, OSU, and other major Southwestern university sites. Can also check with the Noble Foundation in Okla who has website. May also get some help from Brammert Seed Co. in Muleshoe, Tx. Think Brammert also has a website.

A lot of research has been done by texas tech u. and the noble foundation on forages for your area. Other than that you may try googleing each particular grass.
For the dahl
http://www.silvercreekfrm.com/
You may also pm bluestem, he has a lot of good info on natives.

This from the University of Missouri.

Warm-season grass forage quality

Forage quality measurements (protein, fiber, digestibility) of warm-season grasses have consistently been lower than measurements for cool-season grasses at the same growth stage. This quality difference has led scientists to conclude that warm-season grasses would be poor feed for growing livestock. However, more careful studies of actual animal gains from cool-season and warm-season pastures has revealed that native grass pastures may be much more nutritious than their quality analysis indicates. In a University of Missouri trial at the Forage Systems Research Center at Linneus, Mo., milk production of beef cows grazing big bluestem was equivalent to that of cows grazing high-quality bromegrass-alfalfa pastures.

It is now clear that it is unfair to compare native grasses and cool-season grasses according to chemical analysis alone. However, no better system has been found. The University of Missouri is continuing to study how to accurately describe the forage quality of native grasses. end quote.

I would consider planting Eastern Gamma Grass. I also would not plant Switch grass. Also add some native forbs and legumes.
Do not over apply nitrogen to the natives.
I would like someone to show me the protein content of unfertilized Bermuda grass.

The OP wasn't asking about warm season v.s. cool season. As far as I know nearly everyone knows that cool seasons forages and legumes are higher in quality that warm season.
As far as unfertilized bermuda, its equivalent to native.

Around here no one fertilizes prarie hay (native grass) as it doesn't respond like hybrid bermudas.

Most of native grasses will be at or less than about 10% crude protein as baled hay.

Maybe I am all alone in that I do not want to bale hay. I am interested in it as a standing forage crop that is harvested by my four legged swathers. I am having trouble finding out what the protein value is in the dormant stage. I have been told that native grasses retain their nutrition better than most introduced species.

J+

I would consider planting Eastern Gamma Grass. I also would not plant Switch grass.

Bluestem I think I am to far west for Eastern Gamma Grass, not enough average rainfall, plus what I have read indicates that average daily gains for stockers is only about 1.5 lbs/day. Not terrible but could be better, but I really think I need a more drought tolerant grass.

What is you objection to switchgrass?

J+

Thanks for all of your replies. My goal is to establish a pasture that provides good nutrition and good volume on little inputs. With fertilizer costs, herbicide costs and labor costs (my time) all going up and no end in site, I think it is better to have an operation that is less dependant on costly inputs. I don't want to spend all of my time in a tractor seat plowing and planting annuals nor do I want to own a hay baler, I have grass powered harvesters instead of diesel powered ones.

In my area I think I can winter cows just fine on standing native forage grasses intermingled with clover and feed hay only during more extreme weather when cold fronts blow through.

Is anyone else operating in this manner?

J+

J+ Cattle":1p5jzsj1 said:
I would consider planting Eastern Gamma Grass. I also would not plant Switch grass.

Bluestem I think I am to far west for Eastern Gamma Grass, not enough average rainfall, plus what I have read indicates that average daily gains for stockers is only about 1.5 lbs/day. Not terrible but could be better, but I really think I need a more drought tolerant grass.

What is you objection to switchgrass?

J+
Where are you located in North Texas? I feel that Eastern gamma may have been as far west as Jacksboro. I have found it growing in Cook county. It was the best grass I had the past two years. Here is a picture of an experiment I did http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=3269 Switchgrass is palatable for a short time in the early spring (my experience). In a few years switch will be the dominate grass in your pasture.

J+ Cattle":1j3weh80 said:
Thanks for all of your replies. My goal is to establish a pasture that provides good nutrition and good volume on little inputs. With fertilizer costs, herbicide costs and labor costs (my time) all going up and no end in site, I think it is better to have an operation that is less dependant on costly inputs. I don't want to spend all of my time in a tractor seat plowing and planting annuals nor do I want to own a hay baler, I have grass powered harvesters instead of diesel powered ones.

In my area I think I can winter cows just fine on standing native forage grasses intermingled with clover and feed hay only during more extreme weather when cold fronts blow through.

J+
I was able to do this until the drought hit. I was hit hard. Got caught with no hay and not enough grass. I plan to build a shed for hay storage. Will try to keep 1 year supply on hand if possible. Now rebuilding the herd, and planting more grass.

J+ Cattle":xdhasdfe said:

J+
I feed very little hay. Standing forage with rye and clover are my main winter feed. I do not have any dahl but it looks like the most promiseing, although not a native. I have also found that cattle eat a lot of weeds and leaves from trees. Although they probably do not provide much in the way of protein I beleive they help balance their diet. The key to this type of program is less cattle per acre. Therefore it takes more land.
I have found that although I have fewer cattle I can actually make a profit off the ones I have useing this system. High quantities of cattle on less land mean higher inputs and much more risk. I also relize than being in a more southern climate helps and this type of program may not work further north.

Bluestem to answer your question I am about 50 miles north from Jacksboro in Clay county. I know very well what you are saying about having to build back up after the drought because I also had to as they say in the business world "downsize" my operation. It makes you learn some lessons the hard way like your planning to keep an extra years supply of hay on hand. This year hay is plentiful in Texas so it is a good time to put that plan into action.

J+

J+

Would suggest you contact the Noble Foundation for native grass info. They have done quite a bit of research on native grasses. It looks like you are within their service area, where they can provide you free on-farm consulting. They also have an excellent booklet entitled " Producing and winter grazing warm-season stockpiled forages".

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.noble.org/Ag/Index.htm

BTW, I winter both cows & stockers on stockpiled coastal bermudagrass north of Waco.

PaPaw,

Do you have to supplement to keep your stockers gaining (or not losing)? We also will stockpile and have found our cows do fine but our stockers have very little or no growth during this time.

gberry":1mvcnegr said:
PaPaw,

Do you have to supplement to keep your stockers gaining (or not losing)? We also will stockpile and have found our cows do fine but our stockers have very little or no growth during this time.

We supplement both thin cows & stockers with corn gluten/soy hull pellets after frost. Usually start at 3lb/hd/day in december increasing to 5 lb by february. We will have ryegrass grazing by March 1, when we stop feeding.

Latest posts