Nutrition Requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

Lawson Farms

Reaction score
Where is the best place to educate yourself about nutrition requirements? I'd like to learn how to formulate mixes for different classes of my cows (lactating, dry, 6-7weights, yearling steers and heifers, etc) based on what forage and/or hay I have available. I've played around with the Ok State excel sheets, but I'm just doing trial and error rather than making educated changes.

BL

Lawson Farms":auvvo8iq said:
Where is the best place to educate yourself about nutrition requirements? I'd like to learn how to formulate mixes for different classes of my cows (lactating, dry, 6-7weights, yearling steers and heifers, etc) based on what forage and/or hay I have available. I've played around with the Ok State excel sheets, but I'm just doing trial and error rather than making educated changes.

BL
Wish it were that easy but really takes a lot of study and experience. The Oklahoma State ration deal is pretty worthless as well. There are a few feed formulation programs on the market that don't cost all that much but you usually get just what you pay for. But begin with having your hay tested. In spring pull samples of your grazing and have it tested. These always make up the largest percentage of the diet. Then simply work around what you have. There are websites with articles on feeding steers, heifers, early and late gestation cattle etc. You can get a good general idea beginning with these. A well balanced ration will have too many nutrient densities to even try to discuss here but study up on crude protein, digestible protein, digestible energy, ADF and NDF. This will be a good start. Good huntin' ;-)

Latest posts