Nutria Rat

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I have been told by many people that nutria is good to eat. I am about to go fix up my duck blinds and I always end up shooting many nutria while I am there. Is the nutria meat worth keeping a few for cooking?

I am open to all suggestions.

They're supposed to taste good. I've never eaten one, but would try some if someone cooked it.

That was a feature on Bizarre Foods one episode. One old boy caught them in the swamp and cooked it up for Andrew Zimmern. I think it cooked in a pot for a long time.

I could make some sort of coon a$$ comment at this point... but I won't. Love LA. I would not, however, eat a Nutria.

gerardplauche":xmmntfl6 said:
Is the nutria meat worth keeping a few for cooking?

NO. I'm a coonass/cajun - whatever you want to call me, but I so no to nutrea. They aren't a species native to Louisiana - I understand they came up from south america (I think).

The one's I've seen cooked are greasy, and not good at all. They are a scavenger.

Now if you have some extra ducks this fall, Gerard, call me and we can cook them up real nice. I love duck hunting, but it's still way to hot for me to be out thinking about a duck blind.

cypressfarms":3vg03ynr said:
gerardplauche":3vg03ynr said:

NO. I'm a coonass/cajun - whatever you want to call me, but I so no to nutrea. They aren't a species native to Louisiana - I understand they came up from south america (I think).

The one's I've seen cooked are greasy, and not good at all. They are a scavenger.

Now if you have some extra ducks this fall, Gerard, call me and we can cook them up real nice. I love duck hunting, but it's still way to hot for me to be out thinking about a duck blind.

They were imported years ago for the fur trade.

cypressfarms":18dpd2bf said:
gerardplauche":18dpd2bf said:

Had a coon ass friend come to town one time and had all the fixin's for what he called a "Black Duck Gumbo". Basically it was all the gumbo stuff and a big old bag of mud hens....about a six pack while all this stuff is cooking and it ain't half bad. ;-)

cypressfarms - I still have lots of green wings in the freezer. We oughtta get together with Horticattleman and cook some up!

Like I said, I would try some if someone cooked it. They are vegetarians. If you have eaten alligator you've eaten a lot nastier animal.

Fred":1bmpdc0t said:
Like I said, I would try some if someone cooked it. They are vegetarians. If you have eaten alligator you've eaten a lot nastier animal.

Only had gator once or twice. Not something to write home about. If you didn't tell me I was eating nutria I might try it, but don't tell me. Can't be any nastier inside than a craw dad.

Fred":fk6v6tzt said:

The trick with gator is how you prepare the meat. It can only be meat from the tail, and you must cut every single piece of fat off of the meat you intend to eat. fat on gator makes it rancid, unlike fat on a steak which makes it good.

Latest posts