Nursing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey guys.....need help here........have a cow about a week from calving, yesterday saw a 15 month heifer nursing her! Milk all over heifers face, on the ground and bag flat so I know cow had "let her milk down". The question....will there be Colostrum fro the new calf? Need replies soonest! ( Vickie the Vet?)

[email protected]

Most likely not enough to really give the new calf all that it requires in the antibody department.

dunmovin farms

> Hey guys.....need help
> here........have a cow about a
> week from calving, yesterday saw a
> 15 month heifer nursing her! Milk
> all over heifers face, on the
> ground and bag flat so I know cow
> had "let her milk down".
> The question....will there be
> Colostrum fro the new calf? Need
> replies soonest! ( Vickie the
> Vet?)

Mature beef cattle produce enough colostrum for maybe 1.2 normal sized calves.(on average) Of this, about 10-15% is added in the final week prior to calving.(these figures are estimates, not hard facts) This being said, she likely will have inadequate colostral antibodies if she calves within one week, maybe enough if longer than 1 week, and definitely NOT enough if that @#$^%&!! yearling nurses her again. Play it safe and have either a powdered colostrum supplement (I use headstart) or supplemental colostrum. If you don't want to do this, you can take a blood sample from the calf to check antibody levels at 24 hours of age+ and then treat with a serum transfusion....$$$

Good Luck! V

Thanks for the prompt replies VtV and DM, taking the advice. I suppose I should now sell the heifer as she poses this risk again?

> Hey guys.....need help
> here........have a cow about a
> week from calving, yesterday saw a
> 15 month heifer nursing her! Milk
> all over heifers face, on the
> ground and bag flat so I know cow
> had "let her milk down".
> The question....will there be
> Colostrum fro the new calf? Need
> replies soonest! ( Vickie the
> Vet?)

[email protected]