Nursing front teats only

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
Have calf nursing the front two teats only. The cow is a heavy milker so the calf is getting enough. The calf is now 5 days old. Will the cow stop producing in the rear teats? Do I need to milk her out untill he figures out what to do? I had thought of taping the front teats up to force the calf to nurse the back teats. Good idea / bad idea? :?

Tod

Tod Dague":5slg4xx3 said:
Have calf nursing the front two teats only. The cow is a heavy milker so the calf is getting enough. The calf is now 5 days old. Will the cow stop producing in the rear teats? Do I need to milk her out untill he figures out what to do? I had thought of taping the front teats up to force the calf to nurse the back teats. Good idea / bad idea? :?

Tod
I would milk her out for a few days. You can always use the milk for the table. If you don't want to use raw milk use it in something cooked such as pudding or any other cooked food that calls for milk. Oatmeal and many others.

Tod Dague":3bfcnryo said:

Tod

he should eventually find the back ones. as he starts getting some size on him & gets hungrier he should start nursing all 4.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and milked her this morning. The blood clots were still present. Hopefully if he does go to the back it won't take as much to get the milk to flow.
Tod

What blood clots?

dun

Tod Dague":25ekursx said:
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and milked her this morning. The blood clots were still present. Hopefully if he does go to the back it won't take as much to get the milk to flow.
Tod

I'm sorry but I may have this wrong. But I understood that there was a clot or pluge that formed within the teat during pregnancy to create a barrier from infection and help retain the milk. Not to worry I did not see any blood just had some dificulty with initialy then the milk was free flowing. I assumed that it was this plug.

Tod

dun":32qjaden said:
What blood clots?

dun

Tod Dague":32qjaden said:
Tod

I was kid of concerned. Yes there's a plug, and it's sometimes pretty tough to get out. The reason I was concerned is that blood is a usual sign of mastitis. Can be just a broken blood vessel, but if it's mastitis and they're freshining with it that can be amajor problem. Yes I'm a busybody, but I'm relieved to hear there isn;t a problem.
On out heavier mikers we frequently only get two teats nursed for the first week or so. Had one real heavy milker that her tiny little calf only nursed one. Within a week his little buddies were all coming ove rfo lunch and that took care of the others getting nursed.

dun

Anonymous":2d2odxmv said:
I'm sorry but I may have this wrong. But I understood that there was a clot or pluge that formed within the teat during pregnancy to create a barrier from infection and help retain the milk. Not to worry I did not see any blood just had some dificulty with initialy then the milk was free flowing. I assumed that it was this plug.

Tod

dun":2d2odxmv said:
What blood clots?

dun

Tod Dague":2d2odxmv said:
Tod

Feel free to give me input anytime; I have a lot of respect for your experience.
BTW how are your Cherokee Cnyn heifers doing? So far I haven't had a heifer yet but really like the bulls he's made. I'm looking at using Cheyenne from ABS this year. I hope to keep all of the advantages of CC but with higher M calving ease and more stretch.
Thanks again
Tod

dun":3givada0 said:
I was kid of concerned. Yes there's a plug, and it's sometimes pretty tough to get out. The reason I was concerned is that blood is a usual sign of mastitis. Can be just a broken blood vessel, but if it's mastitis and they're freshining with it that can be amajor problem. Yes I'm a busybody, but I'm relieved to hear there isn;t a problem.
On out heavier mikers we frequently only get two teats nursed for the first week or so. Had one real heavy milker that her tiny little calf only nursed one. Within a week his little buddies were all coming ove rfo lunch and that took care of the others getting nursed.

dun

Anonymous":3givada0 said:

Tod

dun":3givada0 said:
What blood clots?

dun

Tod Dague":3givada0 said:
Tod

We sent one to the feedlot program. Mid january when she left the backgrounder hse weighed 695 lbs, not bad from a late March heifer. I just couldn't bring myself to keep her because of the calfing ease questions.
We used a lot of Chateau this year and the calves should start hitting the ground in about 2 weeks.
I'm working on this years breeding plan now but I want to wait till I see what kind of calves he throws and also the Polled Hereford bull we used this year.
I think we're going to use a blk Angus bull on a bunch of them this year so I'll know for sure that they'll be going down the road and I won;t be tempted to keep as many heifers.

dun

Tod Dague":33udi0t0 said:
Feel free to give me input anytime; I have a lot of respect for your experience.
BTW how are your Cherokee Cnyn heifers doing? So far I haven't had a heifer yet but really like the bulls he's made. I'm looking at using Cheyenne from ABS this year. I hope to keep all of the advantages of CC but with higher M calving ease and more stretch.
Thanks again
Tod

dun":33udi0t0 said:

dun

Anonymous":33udi0t0 said:

Tod

dun":33udi0t0 said:
What blood clots?

dun

Tod Dague":33udi0t0 said:
Tod

Latest posts