nursing calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 3 calves the younges t is 5 months old. These calves are still nurseing. The question is this, these cows are rebred. These calves are still nursing, are they getting milk from these rebred cows? Should I separate these calves from the motheres? They are all eating grass and grain. Thanks for the info.

David Ray":2nstzlon said:
I have 3 calves the younges t is 5 months old. These calves are still nurseing. The question is this, these cows are rebred. These calves are still nursing, are they getting milk from these rebred cows? Should I separate these calves from the motheres? They are all eating grass and grain. Thanks for the info.

Sounds as if you are new to the cattle business. La4angus gave you some good advice as he usually does. As long as the cows aren't getting pulled down you have nothing to worry about.

David Ray":2k4le69p said:

A cow should rebreed within 90 days of having a calf. The calf should be weaned at 6-8 months to allow the cow's milk to dry up and for her to regain any body condition she lost while she raised the calf. By the time a calf is 6-8 months old he's eating grass, hay, etc., and most of his nutrition is not coming from milk. The cow's milk production has also dropped off quite a bit. When she calves again, the first milk produced has "colostrom" that the new calf needs. You can get a vet to preg check your cows if you're concerned that they aren't rebred.