Nursing calf pulling cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Have a cow that raises a great calf . Calf is three months old . Heifer calf wt. approx 325 lb. Cow seems healthly enough. Going to seprate her from the rest if needed . Question is the pastures are growing and green as ever. Nitrogen was applied couple weeks ago. How much more feed should I feed and what type . Pasture has lot of clover and grass growing . Free choice High Mag minerial and 30% protien tub provided . I'm reasonable sure she has bred back . Just need some thought from others on how they would handle this cow . Thanks for your replies . rj

She's not lacking for protein it sounds like. Probably needs more fat in her diet.

rjbovine":2wa8n59i said:
Have a cow that raises a great calf . Calf is three months old . Heifer calf wt. approx 325 lb. Cow seems healthly enough. Going to seprate her from the rest if needed . Question is the pastures are growing and green as ever. Nitrogen was applied couple weeks ago. How much more feed should I feed and what type . Pasture has lot of clover and grass growing . Free choice High Mag minerial and 30% protien tub provided . I'm reasonable sure she has bred back . Just need some thought from others on how they would handle this cow . Thanks for your replies . rj

I have one with her second calf doing the same. Thought a short time about pulling her out and feeding. Decided she will have to pull her own like the rest. Therefore, couldn't say on the feed. I'm giving mine the benefit of the doubt as I realize she's still growing. But, I have first calf heifers putting her to shame. Thinking mine may just be a hard keeper. I did give her a heavy de-worming (injectable). Hoping it helps. Good luck with yours.

fitz

I wouldn't pull her and feed her either. Grass is the cheapest feed you can buy. Maybe de-worming and a lot of good grass this time of year will help put some weight back on her. It is always harder to put weight back on a cow than it is to take it off. Good luck.

jerry27150":mocsvlyt said:
get rid of the protein tub

I agree. There is no reason to feed anything else on new green fertilized grass. If she nursed a calf through the winter just give her some time. I would guess she is a heavy milker and her calf is doing better than average.

The green grass at this time of the year won't put no weight on a lactating cow. Saying that, I wouldn't do anything else but let her eat and feed the youngin'. Let the cow fatten back up when she is dry and pregnant. Some of my best cows that put out a lot of milk always look thin until there second trimester of pregnacy and the calve is weaned off. No need for a tub as the others have said.

Latest posts