Nursing calf problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, I am faily new to this but we have a baby calf that was born on Friday am. He was not moving and still so I brought him in the house and warmed him up, he got to his feet about 5 1/2 hours later and I got him to take a quart and 1/2 of bagged colostrum. We took him out to his mom but he couldnt nurse because her teets were clogged up. We worked until we got one open then two but two still will not open and we and the calf worked on them. They look like torpedos now and I am concerned that this will cause a problem. Vet did not call us back. What should we do? Or will these two teets just dry up for now? He continues to nurse off of the good two.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Keep working with the cow and calf. You did fine by warming the little fellow up and getting him colostrum. As he gets stronger the next couple days, he will be looking for another teat, if you have already opened one for him, open another when he is hungry, bunting her bag is a good sign he is looking for more milk.<p>If he doesn't get the other teats, there is a chance of mastitis, and his performance will suffer if he is limited to half her milk. <p>The cow's teats will get worse each year, you might consider selling her this year and buying a new cow to prevent this work next year.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts