nurse cow

Help Support CattleToday:

peb

Reaction score
hello all, I have a little problem with a 6yr old angus. She is letting any calf in the feild nurse her. her calf is about 1 month old ,and they are pulling her down really bad, is there a certain type of feed i can give her to get her back in shape or should i pull her from the herd and seperate her and her calf by themself.thanks

Isolate the pair and sell her as soon as she's in half decent shape and the calf can make it on grass. She's not worth messing with.

Craig-TX

I love and hate those kind of cows. Hate them because they're so hard to keep in condition, love em because if there is a calf that's lacking a little juice from it's own mother, or a twin, or an orphan, they'll raise them. If you can supplement the snot out of her without the others, that will work, sperating her will work also, but she'll still need supplement to get back into breeding condition. If she breeds back, when she calves next year remember her, if she doesn't, she should grow wheels.
Every once in a while you will run into a calf stealer. They won't let their own mothers feed them. If she gets like that, sperate her and it's wheels time as soon as is feasible.

dun

peb":x1n9ibe1 said:
hello all, I have a little problem with a 6yr old angus. She is letting any calf in the feild nurse her. her calf is about 1 month old ,and they are pulling her down really bad, is there a certain type of feed i can give her to get her back in shape or should i pull her from the herd and seperate her and her calf by themself.thanks

Latest posts