numbers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle L

Reaction score
How many calves should expect out of a cow. I know all breeds are different mine are polledherefords they are registered.
THANKS,

Our oldest cow right now is number 123 (herefordXangus).She
had her first calf Sept. 28, 1991. Her fifteenth was born
October 8, 2005. She's staying in good condition, but
the calf is not up to par this year. This is probably her
last.

Beef11":1pm15xov said:
I want to say that the national average is around 5.
That seems to be a fairly low number to me,if my cows don't average but five calves in their lifetime ,then I'm in trouble.

I think that alot of folks probably don't keep them around long enough to find out how many they will produce-they probably sell them before they get much age on them. We had a 15 year old have a nice bull calf last Friday-of course this cow was almost 14 years old when I bought her-she has some good genetics and you sure wouldn't know how old she is just by looking at her. She's held up well.

We lost our oldest cow yesterday :( She was almost 21.

Hubby and I went out of town on Saturday to buy some more cows and while we were gone she got stuck in the mud. We got her up with the tractor but she could not stand alone.
We called the vet but he could'nt get out our way for about 4 hours and by then she just gave up. It was her time I guess.
She wasn't our best cow but she gave a calf a year and always had nice ones. We called her gramma and she will be missed.
This is one reason we hardly ever go any where together if we are going to be gone any length of time.
Oh well part of the game.

rancherswife":2jcosiz0 said:

Hubby and I went out of town on Saturday to buy some more cows and while we were gone she got stuck in the mud. We got her up with the tractor but she could not stand alone.
We called the vet but he could'nt get out our way for about 4 hours and by then she just gave up. It was her time I guess.
She wasn't our best cow but she gave a calf a year and always had nice ones. We called her gramma and she will be missed.
This is one reason we hardly ever go any where together if we are going to be gone any length of time.

Mud, you got mud? You been stealing the rain from tx?

dun

dun":3sx7ouvb said:

dun

kinda funniy when you see where she is from...

"ca. mojave desert"

Aero":30sulfrb said:
dun":30sulfrb said:

dun

kinda funniy when you see where she is from...

"ca. mojave desert"

That's what I didn;t understand. I know the area well and didn;t think there was enough dirt to actually form mud. They do get some real toad stranglers but mud is not a usual result.

dun

:lol: :lol: Silly Boys

Water dirt = mud

we have several big water tanks and the run off makes MUD.

Dun, you have been to Newberry right?? Ya know we have lots of water here. Everybody that lives here in this part of the desert has a private lake.
I know it sounds strange but several world watersking championships are held here every summer.

rancherswife":2poh4xdd said:

Sorry for your loss!!

rancherswife":1l31307a said:

Water dirt = mud

Dun, you have been to Newberry right?? Ya know we have lots of water here. Everybody that lives here in this part of the desert has a private lake.
I know it sounds strange but several world watersking championships are held here every summer.

Yeah well we got several big water tanks too. Just no run-off.

On a brighter side, haven't seen a misquito in 10 months either.

rancherswife":f0r5abcg said:

Water dirt = mud

I figured it was from a tank.. Just that most folks think of the rain as casuing mud.

When I was around that area last I doubt if there were more then a couple hundred people for miles around

dun

The oldest isn't an accurate way to view the average number of calves. All the heifers that calve and don't breed back leave the game with 1. The average holstein in the US has 1.8 lactations. Beef cows are higher but not that high. If you keep your cows around even after they come in open your average is going to be higher but not justly. I have seen alot of cows in their late teens. proportionaly they aren't a large contingency. Look at the cattle that are slaughtered most of the burger cows are well under 10 years of age.

Genetically speaking is there any breeds that have a reputation of longevity? Or any certain crosses that have held up to the test of time?

brahmans. brahman crosses. they say longhorns. but i know the brahmans and brahman crosses do. angus are pretty decent in longevity too but the problem i have with them is they seem to get short mouthed easier than anything else. has anyone else noticed this?

Latest posts