Numbers on ear tags wearing off

Help Support CattleToday:

jcummins

Reaction score
Seems the last group of ear tags I bought at TSC, they are a bit slicker….maybe not. But for sure, the permanent marker isn't so permanent. Numbers just disappear.

How or can I fix this?

jcummins":2qlyafj5 said:
How or can I fix this?

A couple things you could do. Next time you have them up, get them in a head-gate and use a tag-marker pen and re-write the numbers on the tags. Or, next time they are up and in the chute/head-gate cut the old tags and replace with new tags.

I have re-written on tags using a Sharpie (lasted longer than some tag-pens).

Or, buy a different brand of tags for your next set of tags.

Katherine

I use an engravable tag from Ritchey tags so they don't fade. Pretty simple.

Take a dremmel tool and carve in the tag what you want it to read. dont go through the tag but just carve it in there. Use a ear tag paint pen to fill in what you carved. I have tags 4-5 years old that look as good as when they were put in. I put the cow family number and year letter in the middle, then the sire on top and actual birth date on bottom. This tells me all I need to know just looking at the tag.

And for ET vs natural calves, I use even for one and odd for another

Example

Bs
589U4
6-7-08

that means to me that BS is (bright side) is the sire
589 is the cow family U is the year born, and 4 would be the number of the calf that lets me know Et or natural service
then obviously the date is birth date

A sharpie permantent marker is what I used. I've got older tags I can read fine using that same marker....but this last batch of ear tags .... seems the material they are made of is different.

That Z tag marker ... I may try, since I've already got all these blank tags.

On edit: maybe I should roughen up these tags so the marker will take better.

I've tried every type of ink imaginable and finally found one that lasts. It's the Y-Tex tag ink. After 2 years the numbers are just as intense as when they were put on.

jcummins":2j3ndept said:
Seems the last group of ear tags I bought at TSC, they are a bit slicker….maybe not. But for sure, the permanent marker isn't so permanent. Numbers just disappear.

How or can I fix this?

We're having the same problem, plus losing some. They're breaking off. But these tags are probably 20 years old. We first thought maybe we'd get the cows up and use a Sharpie pen to re-color the faded numbers. But we've been losing so many that I think we'll just replace them with new ones. It's funny though, the numbers on some of them have held up very well. :?

I actually bought some pre-engraved tags from Ritchey..... I sent them the numbers and they made the tags and sent them to me. It wasn't very expensive at all and they should last a long long time. I have the sires number in the top of the tag, the calves number in large print in the middle and the dams number in small print on the bottom of the tag.

I use a small set of branding irons designed for tags to burn the numbers on the tag and just colour it in with a tag marker.

For the cows, I use the bottled ink. It burns into the tag better than any of the tag markers I have come accross. I have cows with tags that are 10+ years old. I rarely replace a tag because the ink has faded. Most tags that are replaced here are either worn out and broken or lost. I often reuse tags, I see no reason to buy a new tag for every new animal that goes into the herd. For our calves I use the Y-tex or Z-tag markers, they are the best after the the bottled ink, but only seem to last for a couple years.

Here is a link to the stuff I use. There are various brands, and it comes in black too.

http://pbsani.triangleresearch.net/cgi- ... 1216013731

Latest posts