numbers game

Help Support CattleToday:

lawhighnoon

Reaction score
I was wondering which would be more profitable, I only have a maximum amount of money to spend would it be more profitable to buy 100 bred cows that i dont know the genetics of or 80 cows that have good genetics?

lawhighnoon":2vcmvt9b said:
I was wondering which would be more profitable, I only have a maximum amount of money to spend would it be more profitable to buy 100 bred cows that i dont know the genetics of or 80 cows that have good genetics?

It would depend on what you planned on doing with them. If you want to start a seedstock herd there may be advantages beyond simple return on production of the cow herd in the short term. If all other things are equal, except knowledge of the pedigrees, the 100 cows at the same price of the 80 cows would be the best buy. I guess the "too good to be true" question would have to come into my mind if the same type cows phenotypically would have a 20% smaller price tag on them. Can you give us a little more information on the two groups of cows?

I am interested in expanding my herd which is comercial cow calf and I can buy good short bred cattle for about 800. My question is I can also buy good genetic bred heifers for about 1000 so would I be better off with the 100 or the 80

The cows that I am looking at are on average abouy 5 years old with some 6 or seven years old

Latest posts