Number of Square Bales per Feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
Daddy and I have always fed 3-4 bales of hay per dozen cows three times a week during spring-autumn grass season here in West Texas. During the winter, we feed 6-7 bales per dozen cows, three times a week.

Of course, it's hot and dry in Texas right now, and the grass is gone, and I am afraid I am not feeding enough. But, I don't have a barn full of a limitless supply of hay bales, either. I fed four bales this morning, and they went after that like I used to go after Granny's 'nanner puddin'.

Is there a "rule of thumb" I could follow? Daddy can't get down to the farm to take a look these days, and he has forgotten most of his cow sense due to Alzheimer's, so I am looking for experienced help here ... Thanks!

Depends on the cows (lactating,dry). It also depends on the hay. A cow can starve to death on a full belly of low quality hay.
With decent quality hay and protein supplement and mineral I fed 30 lbs per head. About 1/2 small square each.

A general rule of thumb is 2 to 3% of animal's weight per day for hay/forage. This is assuming they are in average condition and quality of the hay/forage is in 10 to 12% protein range. They also need a good protein mineral tub (20 to 30% CP) to enhance digestion & processing of any hay, especially with poor quality hay/forage. Alfalfa hay can also be used to supplement protein needs and can be alternated with quality grass hay.

Cattle are daily grazers. So, if not much for them to eat, hay needs to be put out every day.

This translates, for example, to: A 1000# animal needs 20 to 30lbs of quality hay/forage per say to maintain condition (about 1/2 of the average small square bale). Probably more if cow is lactating with calf at side.

A 1000# animal will also drink probably 20 to 25 gals of water per day when it's hot.

Another thing: Dormant pasture grasses and/or "perennial range grasses" are usually very low in protein (5 to 8%, sometimes less). Even unfertilized "good" hay can be that low in protein.

Thanks ... that's what I was afraid of! We have always had good wild grass in the old pastures, but it's way too dry to be any good right now. And I just haven't been feeding them enough lately.

Looks like I'll be in the market for hay pretty soon ...