Number of cows per bull

Help Support CattleToday:

We run 15-20 with a yearling.

25-40 with anything older than that.

The size of your pastures will play a large part in how many cows a bull can handle. All ours are 160 acres or less. It also depends somewhat on the bull.

We used to tend a farm for an elderly family member and we used 2 bulls for about 63 cows. I'm running 16 cows and a 4 year old bull and my dad's runnin 34 cows and a 6 year old bull.

We run 20-30 for a mature bull and 12-15 for a yearling. but we like to have a real short calving season. We look to start march 10 and 90 -95 % done by mid april. With 70% done by the end of march. This is because in recent years we both worked off farm and end of march coincides with a week of holidays we got. Now I just work off farm so we might relax things abit. As well we vaccinate in may and want the calves old enough to be able to vaccinate as well as vaccinate open cows pre breeding.
We try to run each bull in a separate pasture with his own set of ladies for several weeks. Then they get the job done with little fighting.

This is definitely a loaded question.

:age of bulls
:age of cows
:size of breeding area
:expected calving interval

These are just a few things to consider. So there is no blanket answer.

tmaygspeara":1zz4q6jl said:
whats a safe number of cows for each bull to handle
=====
tm...,
You may wish to refine your question....for workable advice.

Examples;

If it is your objective to control bull numbers and cost.... that can be acomplished by keeping the bulls seperate from the cows and control mounting at each heat. A bull can service many more heats. Be aware, it is more work.

If you want to insure productive service is available with the bull in the herd.... then age, condition and individual bull interest in breeding comes into play. All are not equal.

Some are motovated by competition. Some are distracted by the presence of another bull.

Where multiple bulls are with the herd, much...and I mean...much servicing ability/agility/interest is lost by the continuing jousting that occurs. Incidental injury is a major factor also. While dominance is often established...... when a heat is present the challenging begins again for breedng rights.

We practice a different approach.

Our bulls are kept seperate from the commercial herd for several reasons;

1) We don't want injuries.(been there done that.....not pretty)
2) We wish to control who breeds who.
3) We desire to keep the number of bulls at a minimum due to costs (while having better quality of bulls) by optomizing each bull's physical capability.This is enhanced by controlled mounting. Two mountings per heat is usually sufficent to settle.
4) Maintaining breeding soundness is an ongoing need and can change...quickly. Bulls have bad days also.
5) When we choose...we release one bull for servicing and replace him....sometimes daily....during heavy breeding periods. They resist it...but that's tough.

We began this practice about ten years ago and find that a much greater first time settling % is achieved...with a reduced number of better quality bulls.

Your objectives dictate the application of a specific program.

If you're talking about in one pasture, I wouldn't run more than one bull regardless of the number of cows. If you can separate them into groups, and you're talking about a mature bull, and you're wanting a breeding season, 20 - 30 I believe is the recommended ratio.