Nuflor vs Micatil vs Baytril

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
I know nothing about Micatil or Baytril. We have used Nuflor for respiratory illnesses in our calves. I'm looking to learn and would appreciate any and all comments about all 3. Also, under what circumstances/illnesses would you use each and what were your results? Thank you in advance for your help.

Msscamp - I'm sitting here impatiently patting my foot waiting for some replies. This is a good question. Im looking forward to the replies. I can't help you with the answers as I have only used nuflor, most of the time LA200. I don't want to use mycotil if I can help it. But I would like to see everbodys results.

Only have experience with Micatil to fix respiratory illness in 3-6 month old calves. Pneumonia seems to be cured with one shot, only once did we administer a second shot. Most amazing stuff for us, although I have heard others say it did not work well for them.

Bama":bqeayaeq said:
Msscamp - I'm sitting here impatiently patting my foot waiting for some replies. This is a good question. Im looking forward to the replies. I can't help you with the answers as I have only used nuflor, most of the time LA200. I don't want to use mycotil if I can help it. But I would like to see everbodys results.

Thank you, Bama! I don't blame you you for not wanting to use micitil. There was a guy who injected himself accidentally up here about a year ago, and of course, it killed him. I cannot imagine what his family must have been feeling.

certherfbeef":394zkwlr said:
msscamp":394zkwlr said:
certherfbeef":394zkwlr said:
I only use Micotil. Here is a thread from earlier that might help you.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10474&highlight=micotil

It won't come up. Can I find it if I do a search for Micotil? Thanks!

yep, search for micotil. it comes up as bayril vs. micotil as the thread title.
Sorry bout that

It's ok. I found the thread and it was very informative. Thank you! Did you catch that Bama?

Nuflor has worked so well for me to knock out pneumonia that I don't see the point of risking the Micotil. It just ain't worth it. If you look at the comparative research for BRD there is very little difference in the results. My kids sometimes give shots and I'm just afraid to have it around.

Recently tried to get No. 1 to use the Micatil on a possibly sick calf a few weeks ago, no go! As a physician she states that getting stuck and injected is akin to Russian Roulette,

But Hey, I like the stuff. Just wish it was a bit cheaper to use.

Nulfor is great drug as well. We use it often as needed. :cboy:

Maybe one of you clever "inventor type" guys or gals needs to come up with some sort of long handled device that will let you make a little tent out of the hide with one hand (similar to blacksmith pliers ?? ) and then have about a two foot long plunger-syringe device to squirt the Micotil in subQ with the other hand. Might be able to sell a lot of them to folks, like me, that otherwise wouldn't ever think of using Micotil. ;-)

To me a cow ain't worth the risk. I have never stuck myself with a needle but you never know. Even a gentle one in a chute can jerk a certain way and cause you to hit you tenting hand. Heck I could even fall on it getting to the chute. Even if I had several that needed it I would call a vet. 20 or more sick ones justifies a vet as far as I'm concerned. He or she can give whatever thay want. If nuflur or la200 wont knock it out, its time for the vet. JMHO

we have always used micatil. the ideal of one shot and the calve is on its way is enough for me. we give very few shots in the field. we calve 40 to 50 cows twice a year in a 2an 1 half ac. pastue. our working pens are right there and our calf table. the calf table i would not be without. it makes it easy for an old man to work calves by myself.

endebt":2959pbkl said:
we have always used micatil. the ideal of one shot and the calve is on its way is enough for me. we give very few shots in the field. we calve 40 to 50 cows twice a year in a 2an 1 half ac. pastue. our working pens are right there and our calf table. the calf table i would not be without. it makes it easy for an old man to work calves by myself.

I don't think I'm familiar with a calf table, except for in a branding chute. Are you talking about the same thing? I would be most interested to hear about your calf table. I guess we are lucky or else Dad is an excellent manager, because with the exception of a few cases of scours and maybe one pnemonia possibility, we don't have sick calves - never have. Doctoring small calves is just a matter of cornering them in a small corral and snagging them or putting them in the alley to the big chute and snagging them. Would you please provide more information? Thanks!

I am a little confused. The reason not to use Micatil is because it is too dangerous? If you stick yourself it will kill you? Is that correct?
I am very new at this. I also read that you make a tent with one hand and stick the cow with the needle. Is making a tent the best way to give an injection?

It will kill you if you happen to inject yourself - doesn't take much as I understand it (we use a squeeze chute & are most careful). Making the tent is so you can inject under the skin - know as SQ or subcutaneous injection.

I use Micatil on all my animals over 6 weeks old that show respiratory disease. On the small calves, under 6 weeks, I use Baytril. I have had great success with Micatil and the dosage, 1 1/2 cc per hundred pounds, is small enough that I can use it with my dart gun. For a 1400 lb cow it would take 2 10cc darts, for a 1000 lb cow 2 darts of 7ccs. I would never try to get someone to use it who is afraid of it. If you are timid about it, you are more likely to make a mistake. If i can't have the animal totally restrained or knocked out, I use the dart gun, that gun has been invaluable in saving the lives of calves and cows for me. As far as Nuflor goes, I don't have experience with it, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.
I pay 76 cents per cc of Micatil so the dose for a 300 lb calf costs about 3 dollars or about 1 dollar per hundred pounds. Baytril costs considerably more to use than Micatil. Can someone tell me the cost to use Nuflor? If I remember correctly, my vet told me it is cheaper per cc than Micatil but you use alot more of it per animal. The micatil lasts 72 hours, how long does the Nuflor last? Thanks

stocky":2m1coroh said:
Can someone tell me the cost to use Nuflor? If I remember correctly, my vet told me it is cheaper per cc than Micatil but you use alot more of it per animal. The micatil lasts 72 hours, how long does the Nuflor last? Thanks

nuflor cost about $55 for a 100cc bottle or i think about $240 for 500cc. you can give it in daily doses of about 3cc per 100wt or a larger single dose of about 6cc per 100wt.

i have given it to calves and usually give the larger dose, and i have given a second dose a couple of days later if the calf is in real bad shape. i usually give micotil to the cows.

jt

Latest posts