Nuflor and the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree, but rarely do i see them run after the first shot. It isnt terrible on them.
If i give them a little feed they normally go back to esting within a minute or so.
That's true but all my herd knows what that gun is and starts walking away from me, but after a month or two after shooting them they go back to normal it's just where I have had 5 cases of foot rot in a couple of weeks that has them all gun shy right now.

I have had 5 cases of foot rot in a couple of weeks that has them all gun shy right now.
Sustain III Cattle Boluses work great on foot rot, especially if you catch it early. My cattle are hand feeders, so I just break a bolus in half and shove it in their mouth with a couple cubes. But I did have to treat a bull that was the exception, and I broke them into smaller pieces, put them in a bowl with cubes and mineral with CTC and drizzled molasses over it. If your cattle are fairly docile, it's another option to darting.

Sustain III Cattle Boluses work great on foot rot, especially if you catch it early. My cattle are hand feeders, so I just break a bolus in half and shove it in their mouth with a couple cubes. But I did have to treat a bull that was the exception, and I broke them into smaller pieces, put them in a bowl with cubes and mineral with CTC and drizzled molasses over it. If your cattle are fairly docile, it's another option to darting.
I spend some time with my cattle but I don't think that they are that tamed to do that with, the dart gun has been a real handy from having to get the whole herd up.

No pinkeye vaccine there?
I'll ask the vet I was just under the impression pinkeye vaccines weren't all that effective. I'm begining to think nothing prevents it and I think clearing areas of flies is bonkers and impractical. The only thing we haven't tried is vaccines and the fly repellent ear tags. Garlic mineral lick and pour on insecticide certainly don't stop it but I guess its possible they reduce it.

Last edited: