nuflor and naval ill

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I see a 5 day calf with naval ill. Still acting very healthy but the tell tale swelling. Previously my vet said nuflor so I gave according to directions - 6 cc/100 sub q. Last time I had naval ill the vet said to repeat that every other day for 5 days but the calf I was treating seemed to go down hill with the extra nuflor more than the naval ill - which went down quite rapidly. The previous calf quit eating after the 2nd dose of nuflor and I had to tube it with electrolyte till it came back around. This time I'm inclined to stick with the label instructions and just see what this dose of nuflor does to empowering the calf to fight it off since she seems to be doing quite well otherwise as it is - and just keep an eye on the swelling and re-apply if I don't see progress.

Any comments?

The best results I've seen for navel /joint ill is large/frequent doses of penicillin

dun":2pj361jq said:
The best results I've seen for navel /joint ill is large/frequent doses of penicillin

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

The last one I had, about 9 years ago, this was the treatment of choice and it did the trick.

I have seen two navel ill calves in my career thus far. The first one was about a week old when his joints started swelling on three feet (both of his hocks and one knee). The vet advised Nuflor 6 cc/100 lbs SubQ every other day until the swelling and heat was completely gone. I ended up doing just that for about 3 weeks. The calf was pretty stove up, having three feet swollen and sore, but he recovered completely and was 100% healthy about a month after he first got sick. He was able to get around enough that he stayed in an 80 acre pasture while he was sick and I doctored him out in the field. He did not have a bad reaction to the Nuflor (and he got plenty of opportunities with as many times as he saw me coming after him with a needle!). I have found that the calves that I doctor with Nuflor don't have a bad reaction to the Sub Q shot. I.M. is a whole nother story.

Our second navel ill calf started out with one swollen knee when she was a week old. I started off with Nuflor, but the calf kept getting worse, so the vet advised changing to heavy doses of Penicillin. After 3 weeks the calf was doing so poorly that I put her down. When I performed the necropsy, that calf had infection in every joint in every foot and under the hide near the joints was dead tissue. There was no way that she would have been able to walk with as much damage as the infection had caused.

I think that the main thing with navel ill is to start treatment right away, be sure to keep treating it until the infection is completely gone, and expect that you will be doctoring the calf for quite awhile.

Good luck with your calf!

We always take our naval ill calves to the vet and have him flush the effected joints. Treating the joints gives them a better chance of complete recovery.

All very interesting. This calve's joints are fine. Just a swollen navel. So she's very difficult to catch in the field. Yesterday I was able to sneak up on her while she was sleeping and I jumped on her. Not sure she'll fall for that again. Will have to see if I can round her up.

I have knocked out navel ill with LA 300 in the very early stages. (Slight swelling in the navel only, no joint involvement.)

branguscowgirl":2hekipf9 said:
I have knocked out navel ill with LA 300 in the very early stages. (Slight swelling in the navel only, no joint involvement.)

How many doses?

angus9259":3ng8rsam said:
branguscowgirl":3ng8rsam said:

How many doses?
I do 1 to 2 doses. But be sure to read the insert because the dose Is different from if you do 1 per day, or another in 48 hrs.. For a mild infection, 1 dose does it. But keep a close eye and make sure it did in 48 hrs..

angus9259":4ge1l3tn said:
Is there a difference between an infected naval and naval ill?
Nope. "Joint Ill" is the advancement of a navel infection to the joints. The infection can travel just about anywhere in the calf from the navel.