NRA is against State's rights?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
The NRA has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the state of Florida's right to raise the age of buying a firearm from
18 to 21. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard Florida's governor had a perfect A+ rating from the NRA before signing the bill.

Appears the NRA is behaving like a bunch of Democrats trying to legislate from the bench and infringe on State Rights.
Any state rights advocates care to comment or does the NRA own your soul?

Flys into the face of State's rights. I think the State will win. If the state has the right to set the age at 18, then, it is logical that they have the right to set the age at 21.

It is two different things. State's right are about the states retaining the right to deal with things not reserved to the federal gov. in the constitution. The second amendment trumps all laws and the NRA i assume is taking the position that florida law changes are an unreasonable restriction on second amendment rights. There are no circumstances where the state can trump the us constitution, can't raise an army, can't restrict free speech, etc. This has nothing really to do with the concept of state rights
Having said that, i expect the courts to rule this change is a reasonable restriction and the state will win.

Douglas":11vmye32 said:
It is two different things. State's right are about the states retaining the right to deal with things not reserved to the federal gov. in the constitution. The second amendment trumps all laws and the NRA i assume is taking the position that florida law changes are an unreasonable restriction on second amendment rights. There are no circumstances where the state can trump the us constitution, can't raise an army, can't restrict free speech, etc. This has nothing really to do with the concept of state rights

I agree with everything except that it does have to do with State's rights. Setting the age for firearm purchase is not mandated in the 2nd Amendment. The precedent is there for states to establish a legal age for firearm purchase. They thus have the right to change that age.

Son of Butch":3gfsmd6f said:
The NRA has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the state of Florida's right to raise the age of buying a firearm from
18 to 21. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard Florida's governor had a perfect A+ rating from the NRA before signing the bill.

Appears the NRA is behaving like a bunch of Democrats trying to legislate from the bench and infringe on State Rights.

Not really as Fla. is violating the 14th amendment under the equal rights clause. Now Fla could have outlawed the sale of guns to everyone legally under the 10th amendment. They could not outlaw possession under the 2nd. They can not carve out a segment of the population under the 14th.

Bright Raven":3nanrgng said:
Douglas":3nanrgng said:

I agree with everything except that it does have to do with State's rights. Setting the age for firearm purchase is not mandated in the 2nd Amendment. The precedent is there for states to establish a legal age for firearm purchase. They thus have the right to change that age.
So if a state said you had to be 100 years old to own a gun that would be ok and not effect your 2nd Amendment right ????? If a person is old enough to go to the military they are old enough to own a gun. NON of this will stop shootings how many laws were broken in the last shooting??
I am not a member of the NRA but sure am thinking about becoming one

Bright Raven":2b0evkr8 said:
Douglas":2b0evkr8 said:

Every level of government has the right to make reasonable regulations. Cities can ban hunting in the city limits, school can ban guns on their premised. So yes the state can also make regulations. All have to be reasonable and not infringe on the second amendment. That is a legal question. The legal concept of "states rights" is a totally different deal. And by the way the NRA is not the government so the issue of states rights don't apply. They are resident of Florida too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States%27_rights
In American political discourse, states' rights are political powers reserved for the state governments rather than the federal government according to the United States Constitution,

BRYANT":25q2eexr said:
Bright Raven":25q2eexr said:
Douglas":25q2eexr said:

So if a state said you had to be 100 years old to own a gun that would be ok and not effect your 2nd Amendment right ????? If a person is old enough to go to the military they are old enough to own a gun. NON of this will stop shootings how many laws were broken in the last shooting??
I am not a member of the NRA but sure am thinking about becoming one

Setting the limit at 100 would be a farce. I think you know that. But raising it from 18 to 21 is rational in light of safety of the public. In fact, statutes enforced by the federal ATF already sets the age for handgun purchase at 21.

Douglas":2hdp37xn said:
Bright Raven":2hdp37xn said:
Douglas":2hdp37xn said:

Every level of government has the right to make reasonable regulations. Cities can ban hunting in the city limits, school can ban guns on their premised. So yes the state can also make regulations. All have to be reasonable and not infringe on the second amendment. That is a legal question. The legal concept of "states rights" is a totally different deal. And by the way the NRA is not the government so the issue of states rights don't apply. They are resident of Florida too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States%27_rights
In American political discourse, states' rights are political powers reserved for the state governments rather than the federal government according to the United States Constitution,

Acknowledged. The state rights issue is probably as you laid it out on a legal basis. However, on a commentary basis, it is an appropriate point of discussion.

The bill was written very poorly. It will not survive the 11th Circuit and will appealed to the US Supreme Ct. by the State of Florida. The Supreme Court will affirm the ruling of the 11th District. Anybody want to bet a steak dinner on it?

By the way if the SC rules that the 21 year part of the bill is Unconstitutional, the entire bill will gone.

Davemk":fpz4oaj5 said:
The bill was written very poorly. It will not survive the 11th Circuit and will appealed to the US Supreme Ct. by the State of Florida. The Supreme Court will affirm the ruling of the 11th District. Anybody want to bet a steak dinner on it?

By the way if the SC rules that the 21 year part of the bill is Unconstitutional, the entire bill will gone.

Dave. I have not seen the bill. If they did not get constitutional lawyers to craft it, then, they deserve to fail. I will say, that raising the age to 21 is doable if crafted properly.

Ron, It is going to be very difficult for this bill to survive. It will have to be rewritten and passed as a different bill.

One other thing. This was a calculated politcal risk by Gov. Rick Scott. I believe his political career is over and the Republicans are going to lose a Senate seat in Florida over this bill. This stunt is going to come back to haunt the entire Republican party nationwide. Gun control is a losing proposition.

Davemk":uhe30mov said:
Ron, It is going to be very difficult for this bill to survive. It will have to be rewritten and passed as a different bill.

One other thing. This was a calculated politcal risk by Gov. Rick Scott. I believe his political career is over and the Republicans are going to lose a Senate seat in Florida over this bill. This stunt is going to come back to haunt the entire Republican party nationwide. Gun control is a losing proposition.

Agree. Republicans are between a rock and a hard place on the Gun control. Have you seen this?

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... SKCN1GM0PT

Bright Raven":32gzdu6j said:
Davemk":32gzdu6j said:

Agree. Republicans are between a rock and a hard place on the Gun control. Have you seen this?

What does that have to do with the NRA or being 21 to purchase a firearm? I must of got the wrong link.

Bright Raven":31nqgl1p said:
Davemk":31nqgl1p said:

Yes. The Republicans are going to lose that seat.

The Republicans should have said no to Gun Control. Trump and Scott are acting like a bunch of beta males at a sausage party. Their base will stay home and Republican congress people are going to lose that should not have.

True Grit Farms":2tplcr8h said:
Bright Raven":2tplcr8h said:
Davemk":2tplcr8h said:

What does that have to do with the NRA or being 21 to purchase a firearm? I must of got the wrong link.

That is a very foreboding election. Demonstrates the backslash Republicans are facing. Now you have the perfect midterm storm with Gun control.

Son of Butch":q95r4xyq said:

Agree with you except for the assumption that either party has a more legit claim than the other to being "pro states' rights." The issues they choose just differ.

Latest posts