Now that's an interesting way to try out a horse...

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
From a 5 hour trail ride...but I decided to take him. 6 year old bay QH/Morgan gelding, general dressage training (can take me to Level 2) and is bombproof on trails. Bring him home the end of August and am pretty excited. Just had to share with ya'll. :) I'll post pics when I manage to take some good ones.

Sounds good, my wife use to be into dressage, it's a tough disipline. I would like to see the pics when you get them.

Just a word of advice, completly my opinion, with a qualifying question. Was your trail ride somewhere the horse was use to going, was he comfortable with familar surroundings?

When I buy a horse and spend what I would consider enough money that I would have to work at getting it back in a resale, I get a contract with a 30 day trail period in it. Meaning all horses (for the most part, maybe not a 30yr old horse) have a "honeymoon" period. It last about two weeks, they are good to handle and are geting use to the new enviroment, but after two weeks the start to push you and test the boundries. If an evil horse comes out it's nice to have a 30 day return policy with a full refund to you. This policy usally includes the buyer paying for vet exam upon return of the horse. The vet is of the sellers choosing.

Anyway just a thought. Oh and I have argued before on these boards, as some can tell you, that there is no such thing as a bombproof horse IMO, "any horse, any day."

Don't get me wrong, If I was wanting to buy a horse and went on a FUN 5 hour trail ride with little or no trouble, I would be in love with that horse and would be sold. I would just CYA a little if I was what I consider to be big bucks.

JMO, love to see pics.

Alan

Alan...

Neglected to say that he's a horse that is being boarded at my instructor's stable. I've had two lessons on him prior to this ride and had no problems. I was anxious to get him out onto trails and into surroundings he had never been in. He does have a hefty price tag (at least for me) attached to him, and I wanted to make for sure that I was getting something I'd be happy with. He was never on those trails until yesterday, and I put him in different positions then, from being in the front of 4 other horses to being dead center with one right on his tail. He never flinched at any of it.

I feel like I have a pretty open door to return this horse if he doesn't work out, but that would definitely be something to work out prior to taking him home. Thanks for the advice! His board is payed up by the previous owner until the end of August, so I figured I'd take the "free" board and get some more lessons on him prior to him coming home.

I agree there is no such thing as bombproof...I wrote that and immediately wondered why I had did it. Evidently not enough to edit though. :roll: What I'm saying is that he was excellent for a 6 year old. Slowed a bit for a bridge, but than my heart was pounding hard too. I've never rode a horse across a 30 foot plank bridge before, and I think I was as scared as the horse.

I'll definitely get those pics for ya Alan. I'd like him evaluated. :)

He sounds real solid, and a 6 yr old to boot! I don't own a horse I would trust on a bridge. Sounds like you have a good horse. good luck.

Alan