Now or first of year ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Other group that belong to my grandchildren were lighter but brought better per lb of course . All black out of commercial cows angus/ simme mixed mostly Ave weigh 390 for 4 heifers @ 1.50 ave . 2 bulls @1.60 ave weights 550 . One bull weighed 615 which didn't bring as much per lb as the lighter one . College fund for the kids , Ms Claire is 5 almost 6 and Mr Davis just turned 1 .

Last edited:
2 bulls in that group ave 1.65 and ave weight of 495 . Heifers ave 137.5 ave weight 480 . 1 light one weighed 360 off a first calf heifer that calved late on us . Not great but not as bad as I was expecting. They had 1400 at the sale with1200 calves . All black with 2 baldies . Guess what did the best ?
The bulls? That's waaaaaay better than Ft Payne.

Hope you're feeling better!

Prices are about what they are bringing here, maybe a little higher for the heifers in the smaller ones. If they were pretty nice then that is about what we would get here. We have picked up some bulls in the 1.15 range and got a couple at .89... a little rough looking but with some decent feed they are looking good. Heifers here been running in the 1.25-1.40 range mostly for 4-5 wts.

Prices are about what they are bringing here, maybe a little higher for the heifers in the smaller ones. If they were pretty nice then that is about what we would get here. We have picked up some bulls in the 1.15 range and got a couple at .89... a little rough looking but with some decent feed they are looking good. Heifers here been running in the 1.25-1.40 range mostly for 4-5 wts.
Had one small one in second group only bring 1.00 @300 lbs hurt that ave so I was very pleased with the rest ! Got 3 bigger bulls that were catch pen shy . They will go 600 + I'll feed hay in the lot come Monday. I'll get 'em eventually. Lol

I'm catching calves next week to sell. Prices have been good, the calves are big and fleshy, the cows are still in good shape, and there is good green grass in the pasture.

Imo, it's the perfect time because it can only get worse from here.😄 I like to get calves gone before a freeze and let the cows get some good grazing before winter with out that drag.

Was listening to Corbett Wall's market report a few mornings ago. He was telling of large strings of 9 weight steers fetching $1.80+ and $1.90+.

Also mentioned some 3 weights in the $2.50+ range if I'm remembering correctly. Might have been more.

These were sold in the Dakota's or Nebraska or somewhere in serious cattle country.

Gives me hope for next year

Maybe I better come to Kansas to buy my replacements. Here some very nice looking bred heifers were selling between $1800-$1900. 4 & 5 year old cows between $1700-$1800. Short term solids for around $1300. Broken mouth cows were around a $1000.

Was listening to Corbett Wall's market report a few mornings ago. He was telling of large strings of 9 weight steers fetching $1.80+ and $1.90+.

Also mentioned some 3 weights in the $2.50+ range if I'm remembering correctly. Might have been more.

These were sold in the Dakota's or Nebraska or somewhere in serious cattle country.

Gives me hope for next year
Two weeks ago I got $2.48 for steers weight 368. Steers weighing 457 got $2.13. Those were long time weaned and 2 rounds of shots. The same sale I bought 5 steers weighing 440 that came with no information for $1.59. Buyers here really want weaned vaccinated calves.

Seems to be the same here. Son is buying some black bull calves in the 450-550 range and he has paid nearly 1.60 for some and only 1.15 for some others. Got some rough looking steers for something like .89... and they are looking good after being on some feed for a couple weeks. These will go into groups of weaned and vaccinated calves to be sold in groups in the early spring. Backgrounding them is really adding some value here and anyone that sells bull calves is shooting themselves in the foot.... losing .20 to .50 / lb value......

Seems to be the same here. Son is buying some black bull calves in the 450-550 range and he has paid nearly 1.60 for some and only 1.15 for some others. Got some rough looking steers for something like .89... and they are looking good after being on some feed for a couple weeks. These will go into groups of weaned and vaccinated calves to be sold in groups in the early spring. Backgrounding them is really adding some value here and anyone that sells bull calves is shooting themselves in the foot.... losing .20 to .50 / lb value......
The best one I have had this fall was some 4 wt bulls I bought for about 0.30 under steer price. I had tweaked my back so I didn't cut or band them when they first came home. Just vaccinated, branded, and ear tag. Figured I would castrate them once bending over wasn't an issue. A week or so later I noticed that they had been banded. The seller must have banded them the day before the sale. The ring men at the sale and I didn't notice it because it wasn't obvious yet. They will sell 2,000-3,000 feeder calves at the sale this time of the year. There won't be a half dozen bull calves.

Maybe I better come to Kansas to buy my replacements. Here some very nice looking bred heifers were selling between $1800-$1900. 4 & 5 year old cows between $1700-$1800. Short term solids for around $1300. Broken mouth cows were around a $1000.

2 bull sales on Superior this week in central Montana just about made be crap my pants. Stevenson Angus bred heifers carrying bull calves, sold as commercial and for $300 they would submit registration papers, sold at $4500...I thought maybe an anomoly (sp)....I thought wrong...Sitz Angus yesterday...same deal, sold as commercial but no option that I saw to register, heifers carrying bull calves...$4500... As I recall the heifers carrying heifer calves were $2800 to $3500... Now, yes they're seedstock producers that have good reputations as far as I know...but at that money I can't ... well, whatever... I hope the buyers make out...

2 bulls in that group ave 1.65 and ave weight of 495 . Heifers ave 137.5 ave weight 480 . 1 light one weighed 360 off a first calf heifer that calved late on us . Not great but not as bad as I was expecting. They had 1400 at the sale with1200 calves . All black with 2 baldies . Guess what did the best ?
I've started taking mine too Ogle's in Flintville Tn.. its the same distance for me too Arab..plus no mountains to cross..Arab has been getting as bad a Kilpatrick

Last edited:
I've started taking mine too Ogle's in Flintville Tn.. its the same distance for me too Arab..plus no mountains to cross..Arab has been getting as bad a Kilpatrick
I've carried some to Ogles before , did good but that's a haul for us . Helped us out on some spotted up calves and reds 4-5 years back . Didn't matter color just weight and bull or heifers

Have a buyer at Ft Payne that operates about like Ogles . He pays whatever the average was the week before by the state livestock report , charges no commission. You have to haul to him . I have to borrow a trailer and being sick this week Arab was my best option. We bought a used trailer and waiting on our guy to do some welding on it. Then I'll have to put the floor back in . Trailer has been on our needs list but not at the top . Got to replace our main catch lot #1 . Son came across a super buy in this one so he jumped on it .

I've carried some to Ogles before , did good but that's a haul for us . Helped us out on some spotted up calves and reds 4-5 years back . Didn't matter color just weight and bull or heifers
they will pay you for preconditioning…don't have to worry about them being run in the same pen with a bunch of trailer weaned..

Latest posts