Now I'm Confused

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Ok I went and got some vaccine to treat our cows, calves and bulls for our branding. Get everything done at once.

Well the vet was telling us to get Bovi Shield Gold 5 and a pasturella vaccine. Ok.
Talked to our uncle who works at the feed store and he advised using Vista One SQ.

Reading both boxes the gold 5 has to be boostered in around 4 weeks after the first shot, but the vista does not.

The vet does not like the Vista due to the loss of some calves at a feedlot he worked at.

Now if they both do the same thing, just different makers, what's the problem?

Does anybody use one or the other? What is your opinion on it?
I am really confused now. :help: :help: :help:

Oh got a 7-way shot for the calves. vision 7.

We used Vista 5 SQ and a pasturella shot last year and had no trouble.

I'm not sure of the brands, but it sounds like one is a killed virus vaccine that has to be boostered. Killed virus vaccines are safer on pregnant animals.

The other sounds like a modified live virus vaccine. They generally don't have to have the booster, but some can cause abortions and/or birth defects if given to pregnant animals.

Both are ML vaccines. I used the Vista Once this past year at the recommendation of my vet & had no problems with it. We use it for the weanlings/yearlings. As far as why one has to be boostered and why one doesn't.... I can't explain. Maybe your vet can explain or contact the manufacturer. Often you can speak with a rep. After all, that is their job to get you to use their product.

We also use the Vision 8 w/ Spur for the young calves & adult cows as well as the Vira shield 6 + VL5

We vaccinated the calves a couple weeks before weaning not at branding time so it may differ. One group with Vista Once (which is a mlv) and Vision 7; and the other group with one that had to be boostered at weaning (can't remember the name off top of my head, have to look it up), One Shot, and a 7-way. These two groups were never mixed or even with in nose touching distance. We had a few more sick ones in the second group that receive the booster. All the cows were given Virashield 6 vl5 as it is a killed product and they would have been pregnant at the time. This was just my findings, may not work the same for everyone. We liked only having to give one shot. Would do the same again. Again may differ from region to region.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2c79y5eu said:
dyates":2c79y5eu said:
I'm not sure of the brands, but it sounds like one is a killed virus vaccine that has to be boostered. Killed virus vaccines are safer on pregnant animals.

The other sounds like a modified live virus vaccine. They generally don't have to have the booster, but some can cause abortions and/or birth defects if given to pregnant animals.

Right not only that but mlvs can actually cause the animal to get sick and get whatever it is you are vaccinating for. I have seen calves get IBR from an MLV. It cost more to treat them than it would have if the person had just used a killed vaccine. That is why i used killed vaccines. I have yet to have one get sick and the Virashield lines of meds seem to have a better immune response than most killed vaccines.

If a calf got sick from a ML vaccine that means the calf was already infected just not showing clinical signs...unless the signs masked itself in scours and other secondary infections associated with BVD. Same goes for IBR

Modified live vaccines need and are required to be boostered for full effect.
Some ML vaccines can be given to pregnant cows as long as they have been boostered with ML in the last 12 months

Both are modified live vaccines . I have given the Bovi-Shield to thousands of calves and I cannot think of one calf that I believe was made sick by it . I have given Vista Once SQ to a smaller number of calves, but still I cannot think of one that it made sick . These vaccines are nothing like the vaccines we had trouble with 20 years ago . I think both are good products . The biggest reason for vaccine trouble is that it is still in the refrigerator instead of in the calf .

Larry

Thanks for all the responses.
We had never really started using vaccine on our cattle til a couple of years ago.
Don't start tearing into me please.
What really got us into it was the fact that two different herds near us always had new cows showing up with the sale barn numbers still on them. We have a pretty closed herd. We mainly bring in just new bulls and have only brought in a total of 5 heifers in the last 10 years.
Our vet really got to pushing us to start vaccinating.

I called Intervet and spoke with their vet. He advised me to use Vista VL5 SQ on our cows and to use Vista Once SQ on the calves.
We had used Vista 5 SQ on everything last year. A pasturella vaccine was used on the cows.

Latest posts