Now I know why good whiskey is so expensive

Help Support CattleToday:

The charred oak barrels gives the product it's color and unique flavor as well as removing some unwanted 'stuff', and gives the product a more mellow smooth taste as opposed to straight moonshine.
For bourbon, charred oak is a 'legal requirement.
Different whiskeys use different degrees of char. It depends on how long the inside of the barrel is exposed to heat.

Wine is aged in lightly charred barrels "toasted' they call it, but Makers Mark (one of favorites) is also aged in toasted barrels.

Shiner came out with a beer a few months ago that was aged in wine barrels. When I drank the first one I didn't know what to think about it, the second one was a little better, and by the third it tasted real good.

I think the climate and the water factor in as well.
Water for sure. Limestone removes a lot impurities from spring water and heat (while aging) is definitely a factor. As it's aged, the barrels are usually moved to a cooler location within the ageing warehouse after a few years.
They do things a lot different in Scotland and Ireland.

The moonshiners around here put a piece of charred oak in the bottle, or jar.
I wondered how long it would be for someone to catch on. Grandpa told us it is about as easy to take the oak to the whiskey as it is
to put whiskey in a barrel. He also mentioned something about Revenuers having a nose for oak barrels. I do know the oak (Red , White.
or Burr was put through a 1 minute alligator burn before going in the jar. Whiskey seems to 'amber up' faster in a jar than a vat.
Please do not fire up a block of green oak and come back on here complaining about the results as there is much more to the craft than
a peck of rye , a bag of sugar and some yeast and water. I was told the Depression was a little less severe thanks to a thirst for a
quality product. I believe GB to be right about the bourbon plus the barrels are only used one time. (for bourbon)

I have a bottle of Japanese whiskey at home. Worst sh*t under the sun!

Shiner came out with a beer a few months ago that was aged in wine barrels. When I drank the first one I didn't know what to think about it, the second one was a little better, and by the third it tasted real good.
you had me at shiner. was this one of their seasonals? I haven't seen this one yet but now i'll go looking.

iu

It is one of the more popular ones here among coni suers that are picky but want something less than $80 a bottle.

If you really want a good smooth drink find yourself some Angel's Envy if you can. I am not a big bourbon guy but that stuff is amazing.

I am not a big Bourbon drinker. But when I am gifted a nice bottle of something I try to put it back to save as a collector's item. My wish list includes this one, only $4K per bottle.

Attachments

• Pappy-Van-Winkle.jpg
    Pappy-Van-Winkle.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I am not a big Bourbon drinker. But when I am gifted a nice bottle of something I try to put it back to save as a collector's item. My wish list includes this one, only $4K per bottle.
There is a Netflix show about a guy that stole a bunch of that and re-sold it. I think he made a fortune til he got caught. Was a pretty interesting show.

My boss had quite a whiskey collection. He had Pappy and everything down to what I now drink. A few sampling sessions with him is how I came to drink Woodford DO. Of all the ones he had, Woodford was the least expensive, and I liked it the best.

Woodford is a little strong in the vanilla, I mix Double Oaked with regular Woodford half and half and it suits me perfect.

you had me at shiner. was this one of their seasonals? I haven't seen this one yet but now i'll go looking.

I believe so, and I never saw much of it, so I don't know if they still have it or not. By the way, as much as it pains me, I don't like most of their beers. The Premium is good, but I'm not a big fan of the Bock. I really liked their Hefeweizen and the Smokehaus, so of course they discontinued those.

Latest posts