Now I know why good whiskey is so expensive

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
"Every year that barrel ages, it is taxed again and again and again and again," he said. "If you're drinking a bottle of 18-year-old Elijah Craig, that whiskey from that barrel had been taxed 18 times before it was bottled."

"No other place in the world does this, they don't do it in Japanese whiskey, or Canadian whiskey or Scotch whiskey or Irish Whiskey or even Tennessee whiskey. We're the only place in the world that taxes aging barrels as spirits," Gregory said.

"Every year that barrel ages, it is taxed again and again and again and again," he said. "If you're drinking a bottle of 18-year-old Elijah Craig, that whiskey from that barrel had been taxed 18 times before it was bottled."

"No other place in the world does this, they don't do it in Japanese whiskey, or Canadian whiskey or Scotch whiskey or Irish Whiskey or even Tennessee whiskey. We're the only place in the world that taxes aging barrels as spirits," Gregory said.

Kentucky has way too many taxes for me which is why I live in The Volunteer State.

Kentucky has way too many taxes for me which is why I live in The Volunteer State.
I dont know about that killer. I priced a piece of equipment out of TN and about choked on the almost 10% sales tax. I would like to pick it up if i buy it but will save me $1500 after paying frieght to ship it.

I dont know about that killer. I priced a piece of equipment out of TN and about choked on the almost 10% sales tax. I would like to pick it up if i buy it but will save me $1500 after paying frieght to ship it.
No income tax and low property taxes. Sales tax is a small price to pay. What county always this piece of equipment in? I'm not aware of any county having a 10% tax. I'm in Williamson and ours is 9.75% and we're just about the highest.

One thing is for sure they will get your money one way or another. Got a better chance of outrunning the grim reaper than the tax man.

You do not need a barrel to age whiskey.
I do have a question though. If you mix some apricots with the rye is it still whiskey? or brandy or ?
sweet on the tongue, warm on the tummy

You do not need a barrel to age whiskey.
I do have a question though. If you mix some apricots with the rye is it still whiskey? or brandy or ?
sweet on the tongue, warm on the tummy
I'm no expert on whiskey, never tried it, and have no desire to. That being said the Bourbon industry is big in KY, and per what I read on the internet, oak barrels are what is said to give the bourbon it's distinctive taste.

I think the climate and the water factor in as well.
Could be. I know a fellow that has quite a honey bee operation, and he has started a line of honey that is put into the used bourbon barrels. From what I'm told it contains no alcohol properties but it does give it a unique flavor.

I'm no expert on whiskey, never tried it, and have no desire to. That being said the Bourbon industry is big in KY, and per what I read on the internet, oak barrels are what is said to give the bourbon it's distinctive taste.
Jack Daniels uses only White Oak for their barrels. I toured the Distillary a couple of months ago. Well worth it if you are ever in Lynchburg. An interesting fact: Jack Daniels was only 5'3".

The charred oak barrels gives the product it's color and unique flavor as well as removing some unwanted 'stuff', and gives the product a more mellow smooth taste as opposed to straight moonshine.
For bourbon, charred oak is a 'legal requirement.
Different whiskeys use different degrees of char. It depends on how long the inside of the barrel is exposed to heat.

Wine is aged in lightly charred barrels "toasted' they call it, but Makers Mark (one of favorites) is also aged in toasted barrels.

Jack Daniels uses only White Oak for their barrels. I toured the Distillary a couple of months ago. Well worth it if you are ever in Lynchburg. An interesting fact: Jack Daniels was only 5'3".
Well he and I have something in common. I am a couple inches taller though. I don't get to say that much.

Latest posts