Novelty/niche Market Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

phillse

Reaction score
I live in the Birmingham, AL area. As an Ag teacher I get asked lots of question. Recently I was asked about what would be a good novlety/niche market breed of cattle for producing Organic, grass fed beef. This person is looking for smaller sized cattle, and something that is "unique".

My first thoughts were Lowlines, Galloway, Miniture Herefords, possibly Irish Blacks (he did not like the marketing agreement necessary to raise Irish Blacks)

Any other suggestions for me to take back to this person

Irish Dexter Cattle. This is the little breed that could. They are duo purpose cattle and they do very well on unimproved and scrap pastures. The greatest thing about them though is the laid back disposition they have been bred for. Great cattle for newcomers!

aren't dexter very light in the muscle department, more of a dairy breed

phillse":2wdno76i said:
I live in the Birmingham, AL area. As an Ag teacher I get asked lots of question. Recently I was asked about what would be a good novlety/niche market breed of cattle for producing Organic, grass fed beef. This person is looking for smaller sized cattle, and something that is "unique".

My first thoughts were Lowlines, Galloway, Miniture Herefords, possibly Irish Blacks (he did not like the marketing agreement necessary to raise Irish Blacks)Any other suggestions for me to take back to this person

What is the agreement?

phillse":186gcd4o said:
aren't dexter very light in the muscle department, more of a dairy breed

Some are and some aren;t depends on what the breeder has emphasised. Seen some that look like a tiny black jersey and others that looked more like an angus jersey cross.

On the whole, Dexters that I've seen arent a hugely muscled breed.

My choices would be Murray Grey (surprise surprise) but they are probably a little too big for this person, so I would go with a Square Meater (not sure if you have them there). The other thing to consider would be Galloway - not mini Galloway or Belted Galloway because these breeds have sacrificed muscle and doing ability for size. But a good, old-style Galloway is hard to beat for grass fed beef.

Of course, possibly the best for this situation would be Highland. They are unique (if the person is looking for something different), in my experience they have been easy doing, well muscled animals good for grass feeding, and they are moderate in size.

I would suggest avoiding any of the breeds that have been selected for a cutesy color pattern instead of productive traits. And the customers might think they were too cute to eat anyway.

For grassfed beef, Lowline would probably do very well. And they would look familiar to the customers, just like Angus cattle that everyone is familiar with, only smaller.

I thank you for all the suggestions. All seem valid suggestions except the Scotch Highland. We can not ofrget that these will be raised in AL where high temp and humidity makes it tough on really long haired cattle.

iowahawkeyes":3ld0gdbo said:
phillse":3ld0gdbo said:

My first thoughts were Lowlines, Galloway, Miniture Herefords, possibly Irish Blacks (he did not like the marketing agreement necessary to raise Irish Blacks)Any other suggestions for me to take back to this person

What is the agreement?

You can find out more information on the link below. The trademark agreement is not really a bad as trademarks go, but you can read it and see what you think about it.
http://www.irishblacks.com/trademarked.html

I have read some about the square meaters on here before and am intrigued. Are they available here in US.

I have no idea whether they are available or not but they are great little cattle.

I dont know whether the person in question is experienced with cattle or not, but temperament wise the Lowlines are probably the most fiery out of all the small breeds.

If you are interested in checking out Squaremeaters, there are some breeders in the US:

MR M LITWILLER, NEW PARIS, IN USA (email: [email protected])

MR D MOELLER, GLENWOOD INDIANA 46133 (TEL: 7165 679 5071 FAX: 765 679 5955)

VACA ROJA RANCH, MS C WATSON, IGNACIO COLORADO 81137 (TEL: (970) 259 0138)

MR B WILCOX, MINEOLA TEXAS 75773 (TEL 903 768 3144 W 970 402 0731)

MR R WISCHOVER, SIDNEY, IL USA 61877 (email: [email protected])

Further information can be obtained on the Australian website http://www.squaremeaters.com.au.

Cheers!

the person is currently running Angus catlle with a Simmental bull to produce simAngus. He is the owner of a milling company and produces organic corn, organic grits, corn mill etc., and produces organic range chickens and eggs.

Sounds like to me he is looking for some Red Polls

Smaller framed that excel on grass.

Very docile and easy to work with

Plus they are one of a few breeds that their meat is naturally tender.

"All seem valid suggestions except the Scotch Highland. We can not ofrget that these will be raised in AL where high temp and humidity makes it tough on really long haired cattle."
That is true, however Highlanders will loose their long coats during the warmer months We can get temps in the high 35 -40 degree c where I am & we can get some pretty humid days also & my highlanders cope really well. If your friend was interested in going with Highlanders than I would sugest giving them this link http://www.highlandcattleusa.org/memberlist.asp & do a search to see if their are any breeders in their area, its local breeders who can really supply information on how they will cope.
Jane

Keren":1eczrkzc said:
I have no idea whether they are available or not but they are great little cattle.

I dont know whether the person in question is experienced with cattle or not, but temperament wise the Lowlines are probably the most fiery out of all the small breeds.

Surprised to hear that. Don't own any myself but work with their association so been to quite a few Lowline shows and those cattle have been very docile. Although I did hear of someone getting knocked down by an over-protective cow with a newborn calf.

Latest posts