Nov. 12 If you are in Virginia

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rI6SWM ... =send_form

2014 Small Farm Family Conference, November 12, 2014
HILTON GARDEN INN, SUFFOLK RIVERFRONT100 East Constance RoadSuffolk, VA 23434For reservations and directions: (757) 925-1300 • www.suffolk.gardeninn.comOvernight accommodations are available for $83/night. Mention "VSU Small Farm Conference" to receive this rate.Registration Deadline is FRIDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2014. Payment is due upon arrival at the Conference.Please bring a check or money order* payable to "Virginia State University" to the Conference on November 12.*We regret that we cannot accept payment by credit card at this time.ABOUT THE CONFERENCE:Join Virginia farmers, landowners and supporters of agriculture for an opportunity to connect with experts in agricultural practices and marketing and learn about new opportunities and strategies that promote small farm profitability and sustainability.This one-day conference features a variety of educational workshops, vendor and exhibitor displays, buffet breakfast and an awards luncheon with keynote address by Jennifer Dougherty with USDA Agricultural Marketing Service who will provide information about GAP/GHP.CONFERENCE AGENDA:8:00 - 9:00 a.m.• BUFFET BREAKFAST and Registration9:00 - 9:30 a.m.• Welcome - Dr. Jewel Hairston and Dr. Franklin Jackson9:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.• 43,560 Presentation - Clif Slade and Eric Eberly9:30 - 10:30 a.m. (concurrent sessions)• Urban Gardening - Dr. Marcus Comer and Duron Chavis• Small Ruminants - Dr. Dahlia O'Brien• Value Added Producer Grant - Laurette Tucker / Agribusiness Enterprise Mgmt - Dr. Ifeoma Udeh• The Fauquier Education Farm, A Successful Public/Private Project - Jim Hankins • Attracting Beneficials & Pollinators - Bob Glennon10:30 - 10:45 a.m.Break10:45 - 11:45 a.m. (concurrent sessions)• Smithfield Farmers Market - Cheryl Ketcham• Rural Energy for America Program - Laurette Tucker / Agribusiness Enterprise Mgmt - Dr. Ifeoma Udeh• Organic Perspectives - Cindy Conner• Va. Beginning Farmers - Alvin Adkins, Derrick Cladd, and Jim Hankins• Southern SARE - James Hill11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.Break12:00 - 1:00 p.m. (concurrent sessions)• One Page Business Plan - Jim Belfield• Uses for Irrigation - Jon Davidson• High Tunnels Cost Share and Construction - Susan Hill and Jake Browder• Value Added Production - Barry Fitzgerald and Mark Chandler• The Life Cycle of Troublesome Weed species and its Impact on Management Strategies - Dr. Jeff Derr1:00 - 2:30 p.m.• BUFFET LUNCH featuring Keynote Speaker Jennifer Dougherty, USDA AMS; Farmer of the Year Award, VABF Presentation (Sue Ellen Johnson), NRCS and other awards2:30 - 3:30 p.m. (concurrent sessions)• Farmers Markets - Leanne Dubois• Silvopasture - Greg Frey• USDA Strikeforce - Ashlee Washburn /Agribusiness Enterprise Mgmt - Dr. Ifeoma Udeh• Soil Health - Dr. Ngo Jaja• Farm Management and Record Keeping - Diane Lenoir-Giles3:30 - 3:45 p.m.Break3:45 - 4:45 p.m. (concurrent sessions)• Niche Marketing - Susan Hill• Cut Flower Production - Susan Cheek• Grazing - C.J. Isbell• Agritourism - Edward and Candace Pitts• Working with Local Producers - James Faison4:45 - 5:00 p.m.• Networking and Meeting with Vendors

Sounds like a good deal for only $25 registration/attendance fee.
If it's like the one here they give away more swag and door prizes than the fee costs ya. I left last years with a big bag full of stuff, a gestation calculator, some vet samples, a show stick, and a Valhoma calf halter.
You should go Sky--you'll enjoy it.

greybeard":1b9p9w68 said:
Sounds like a good deal for only $25 registration/attendance fee.
If it's like the one here they give away more swag and door prizes than the fee costs ya. I left last years with a big bag full of stuff, a gestation calculator, some vet samples, a show stick, and a Valhoma calf halter.
You should go Sky--you'll enjoy it.

I think I may go I have never attended one. It sounds like it may be worth it. The one you had went too was that the first one you attended?

The first one in about 10 years--and I had never been to that particular one.
Last big one I went to was out in West Texas when I lived out that way, but they had an awful lot of speaking about stinking goats.

Something to think about. There's a few speakers I'd like to hear. I'll have to see how long a drive it is from here. Possibly a couple of hours. It just might be worth the drive.

As for what Greybeard said about "swag".....we attended a paver block seminar/symposium/conference back in Feb. That particular event was free to attend (if you're a contactor which husband is) and while there we had breakfast, lunch and came out of there with a pile of useful items as well as a couple of new contacts and learned a couple of things to boot.

Workinonit Farm":1uato8st said:
Something to think about. There's a few speakers I'd like to hear. I'll have to see how long a drive it is from here. Possibly a couple of hours. It just might be worth the drive.

As for what Greybeard said about "swag".....we attended a paver block seminar/symposium/conference back in Feb. That particular event was free to attend (if you're a contactor which husband is) and while there we had breakfast, lunch and came out of there with a pile of useful items as well as a couple of new contacts and learned a couple of things to boot.

its during black powder season so I am gonna hate to miss a day but I am going to go and get information and hopefully learn more info.

Latest posts