Noticed something strange

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I noticed something strange these couple of days with the cattle. There seemed to be more in one pen than the other, and yesterday I noticed that a couple of steers that were supposed to be in the front herd had joined the back herd.

Now it seemed like a couple, since thats what I first saw, but in reality, there were more than a couple when I walked around and looked at eartags and faces.

I checked all around for any mishaps. Gates were securely locked, there were no panels that were pushed out or in, but one thing I hadn't really payed attention to (until now) were the feed bunks separating the two herds. The snow was up to the edges of the feed bunks, packed down hard, and high enough for the cattle to just walk or simply jump over to the other herd if they so pleased. THat's only about a foot or less of the edges of the bunks sticking up, and without the snow, they're at least two feet in height, too high for a 700#, over-4' tall at the shoulder steer to climb over.

It'd be hard to take all that snow off because it's packed down so hard, and we have (or should I say HAD) 80 some cattle separated for dehorning purposes: 40 in the front and 40-odd in the back. Yesterday I counted 21 in the front and 60 in the back: Today, there's about 28 in the front and 53 in the back... :roll: :roll: I'm just hoping it won't end up being all 81 cattle inthe back and 0 in the front, or vice versa...

Yeah, I'm blaming the deep snow for this. :x

now you have one of those stories to tell your kids

when I was a kid the snow was so deep.... 8)

my Mom is always telling about how the snow was so deep that they just walked over the fences on the way to school and we always respond back - yes and it was uphill both ways too :roll:

We had water troughs between 2 pastures and we built a 3 board fence half way across the trough to seperate them between pastures. Could you do something like that?

sidney411":1xi9aqtq said:
We had water troughs between 2 pastures and we built a 3 board fence half way across the trough to seperate them between pastures. Could you do something like that?

Kinda hard to do that...

I hate to say this (excuse to bring this thread up again, lol), but now it don't seem strange...after I seen three or four hop over the feedbunks right after dad had dumped a bucket of silage there, and another one had pretty much no choice but to continue on over when I came up :roll: ...Dad, he didn't even notice... :lol:

All well, at least they're still contained... :cboy:

Latest posts