Notice from the IRS

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
We got a letter in the mail from the IRS today. Don't you just cringe when you get these? Letter was dated May 14, 2014 and said we owed some money for a trust we are managing for a deceased friend's grandchildren. Checked the files and check was written and mailed back in February. Checked bank statements and the check had cleared the bank. Take a large gulp of Kool Aid and call the IRS and only had to wait 20 minutes before getting to a live person. Not a live English speaking person mind you but a live person so I can't complain - much. Very friendly and helpful. Fifteen minutes later she tells us that it is a mistake on their part and they had sent out a large batch of erroneous notices to people and we were on that list. She apologized for their mistake and said we had paid all that was due and no further action was needed on our part. Have her name and badge number so we will know who to reference when/if we get some more nasty notices in the future.

I just wonder how many hours this mistake has cost the citizens of this country. I've often felt our tax system is too complicated and feel that if its too complicated for the IRS to figure out what are we supposed to do?

What's funny is they said the trust owed them the same amount of money that we sent them PLUS interest and penalties. Had I not sent them the tax return they wouldn't have none what to base their penalties and interest on so how in the heck can they say we didn't turn in the return if all their figures are based off what's in the return.

I know a guy that didn't file a return or pay taxes for sixteen years and they never messed with him. Why is it that the least little thing wrong on my part or their part when I file they jump all over me like I'm some sort of criminal?

I should have the right to charge them a penalty and interest for their incompetence.

You aught to tell them that Jo. :nod: The IRS spooks me, I can't imagine trying to deal with them and not flipping out. I believe the EPA or IRS will be the death of me.

Jogeephus":19ywabht said:
What's funny is they said the trust owed them the same amount of money that we sent them PLUS interest and penalties. Had I not sent them the tax return they wouldn't have none what to base their penalties and interest on so how in the heck can they say we didn't turn in the return if all their figures are based off what's in the return.

I know a guy that didn't file a return or pay taxes for sixteen years and they never messed with him. Why is it that the least little thing wrong on my part or their part when I file they jump all over me like I'm some sort of criminal?

I should have the right to charge them a penalty and interest for their incompetence.
Wouldn't have anything to do with your outspoken nature would it

Hook":12vuw7gh said:
Jogeephus":12vuw7gh said:

Wouldn't have anything to do with your outspoken nature would it

:???: :???: And this has what to do with the price of eggs in China? :lol2:

Deepsouth":3qz84exk said:
Their probably running a scam hoping a lot of people will just pay them twice.

I think you give them too much credit. Somehow I feel that one of the senator's children wrote the program they are using to send out these notices. Shyt, they don't even know what date it is so how can they begin to properly calculate interest?

There is a new tax form out, it's the ID 10 T form... It goes something like this..
"How much money did you make last year?: $__,_____,_____.__
SEND IT TO US"

Jogeephus":3o40vv3h said:
If I send it to them you reckon they will send me a phone? I needs me a new Obamaphone.

Jogeephus......

you got this one backwards......

you only get an obamaphone if they send you money.....
:cowboy:

Hook":6dfm1aqk said:
Just wondering why you got the notice to begin with. Didn't you get audited last year too? It's already been shown they target individuals for disagreeing with them

Jogeephus":6dfm1aqk said:
Letter was dated May 14, 2014 and said we owed some money for a trust we are managing for a deceased friend's grandchildren. Checked the files and check was written and mailed back in February. Checked bank statements and the check had cleared the bank.

This is a completely different thing altogether and my name isn't even on the Trust. Am only a trustee but am responsible for seeing to it that a tax return is done since the beneficiaries are too young and the parents too sorry to be trusted with the money. In short, the reason I got the notice is the government is filled with incompetent people who cannot make an honest living outside the government.

I file five returns each year so its not uncommon for some minion to screw with me over some petty BS. A few years ago they threatened to put a lien on my home and to freeze my bank accounts because of a tax that I had paid that they said I didn't pay in spite of the fact I had the cancelled check as proof of payment. Had I not filed the return they would have never known any different.

You try to do right and pay your taxes and all they can do is screw with you.

Look at their fearful leader, he couldn't find a job either outside of government. I'm sure they have a R or D by people's names, and the R's get looked at closer. We need a flat tax for all.

I don't know if it is the same for the feds as it is for the state here, but my accountant had me close down my first LLC. He said that once you or they mess up on something (I don't recall what it was that I didn't do just right), they flag your file and continue to scrutinize it further in the future. I was changing the business and could have just filed a DBA form and kept everything else intact. He said I would more than be worth it to create a new LLC.

I assume Oklahoma didn't come up with that on their own and learned it from somewhere.

The bottom feeders must justify their existence. I do not know the protocol they use when targeting new "work", but it certainly lacks logic. It does seem that the more information you provide does make their target easy, and increase their coffee/donut time

Reminds me of the collection letter I got a few years ago. It was dire--very threatening and told me they were suing me post-haste (ie, lickety-split) if we didn't immediately pay the listed creditor (a med lab for tests I think) the amount shown as due on the bottom. Under "Amount Due: $0.00"

Spent hours on the phone to make sure they fixed the computer glitch and didn't report me to the credit agencies for being $0.00 in debt.

These little things really are annoying--and not limited to government agencies, and sure as heck not limited to who's in office! Incompetence knows no political party, compadres....

Latest posts