Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":w49aouhq said:
callmefence":w49aouhq said:

I disagree....

there is a distinction between luck and perseverance....
anyone can achieve through perseverance and application of effort to achieve a set goal....
not everyone can correctly predict the numbers of powerball....that involves luck...
saying i can and buying tickets until my family is destitute is only going to marginally increase my chance of correctly

If your going to compare Powerball, to life sucess.....I'll just let you have it..
Good luck

YOU....are the one who is equating perseverance and hard work with luck.....

I am saying they are two different things.

Your close... I'm saying a man makes his own luck. And he makes luck lucky by what he does with it.
If you want to be a powerball winner your best chance is to get your axz to work and make some dollars to buy lots of tickets. Then when you do win. How you handle it continues to play in . Many families and people have been ruined by winning the lottery. So not necessary lucky at all... :shock:
I understand your point of dumb luck. But real true luck is earned. I'll stick by that...

Caustic Burno":2ajf2dqr said:
I always viewed you had two roads to take that of the victor or of the victim

Yessir.

And you also have that aspect of "truth doesn't hurt". People calling me "White Trash" would simply make me snicker. When people tell me how lucky I was, I have another snicker that's almost identical to the White Trash snicker.

I have been blessed CB. I don't relate that to luck.

backhoeboogie":3cbg6p9l said:
Caustic Burno":3cbg6p9l said:
I always viewed you had two roads to take that of the victor or of the victim

Yessir.

And you also have that aspect of "truth doesn't hurt". People calling me "White Trash" would simply make me snicker. When people tell me how lucky I was, I have another snicker that's almost identical to the White Trash snicker.

I have been blessed CB. I don't relate that to luck.

this is what I have been trying to express...

luck is not an indicator or result of success or vice versa.....

being hit by an out of control car while driving is bad luck

surviving the crash without major injury is good luck and mandated safety features...

greybeard":3cxydzz7 said:
Yeah, but how many times have we all heard or said "I'd rather be lucky than good any day"?
The fact that I'm even still alive is testament to either being extremely blessed or extremely lucky......I know it's not just a case of me being 'that good'.

Give the beard yet another cigar!!!

There are things in this life that a man just has to accept are out of is control.
Call it luck, blessing, intervention from a higher power, or whatever you will.
I imagine just about anyone who fools with agriculture enjoys working hard with their hands and their back. Why do it if you dont? So I doubt few here are unaccostomed to hard work and perseverance. And I know from my own personal experience that these 2 can overcome many things in life and are instrumental in success. At the same time, I also know there are forces outside of my control that impact my life (call it luck, cursed, blessed, whatever you have to). I should have died in Tx back in 1996. I drove my truck(60mph) square into a train(50 mph) headed east on a back road to Beaumont to plumb a trailer house. It was just at sunrise, no crossing arms, dog leg in the road, didn't see the train until it was as big as a mountain. Brand new truck, wearing a seat belt. Absolutely destroyed truck. Airbag didn't even go off. I walked away without some much as a scratch. Conductor couldn't believe it. After the RR company invsetigated, they concluded that had I been a split second earlier or later I would have been hamburger. My truck struck the fuel tank on the locomotive and it spun the truck (because of the angle) enough to keep me from getting sucked underneath and drug for a mile. Of course, split second earlier, I get t boned by a 50mph locomotive. Game, set, match. No skill, work or perseverance on my part made that perfect combination of timing and location happen. Quite the contrary. I was working 7 days a week, 16 hour days driving all over the Lone Star state, crawling through raw seweage, fighting snakes and everything else, to get ahead in life.
I could name a countless number of circumstances, things like war, cancer, etc. but I doubt it should come to that.

callmefence":2coanopl said:
To words make the difference between luck and bad luck.
Can and can't
I can't do that. It's to hard I can't. It's to hot I can't. It's to heavy I can't. It's to complicated, I can't.

Just change the can't to can . And keep hitting whatever it is until you do it...

One of best quotes I've read on here, ur a good man fence. There's stuff we can control and we stuff we can't but why dwell on the can't why not focus on the can and with hard work and perseverance, often the "can't" can happen! One of the most satisfying things in life is achieving the "cants" or things you didn't think you could but then you did with your own sweat, blood, and tears.

I refuse to live as a victim and believe that someone else controls my future for me. One door closes there's always another opportunity it's just finding it and applying yourself to get where you want to go!!

NECowboy":3e65yezk said:
callmefence":3e65yezk said:
Can and can't
I can't do that. It's to hard I can't. It's to hot I can't. It's to heavy I can't. It's to complicated, I can't.

Just change the can't to can . And keep hitting whatever it is until you do it...

One of best quotes I've read on here, ur a good man fence. There's stuff we can control and we stuff we can't but why dwell on the can't why not focus on the can and with hard work and perseverance, often the "can't" can happen! One of the most satisfying things in life is achieving the "cants" or things you didn't think you could but then you did with your own sweat, blood, and tears.

I refuse to live as a victim and believe that someone else controls my future for me. One door closes there's always another opportunity it's just finding it and applying yourself to get where you want to go!!
Would you consider your finding that "opportunity" to be "luck" :?:

I feel, that I got my ethics from my parents, and only a portion of it a 'learned' response attributable to myself.
I often wonder if I had been born to a different set of parents, would I still be 'me'?

there but for the grace of (we can't speak that name here at CT) and genetics (the lucky sperm club?) go I......

greybeard I cannot answer that. But. But... There were six of us kids plus a couple of more dad took in through the years. Everyone of us are different. Different careers. Different lifestyles. Different wants and needs. We grew up in the same house and ate the same food. We all had the same rules and ethic role models. None of us are alike.

Based on this observation, I am going to say "no" but that's just a swag. I pondered a bit on your words. :lol:

TexasBred":224h5xy8 said:
NECowboy":224h5xy8 said:
callmefence":224h5xy8 said:
Can and can't

Would you consider your finding that "opportunity" to be "luck" :?:

Opportunity is always there it just may not be your first choice, be easy to find, or be your ultimate landing place, if it was easy it wouldn't be called life. To me luck denotes something out of your control and leads to a blame my unluckiness attitude towards life and comparing how "lucky" others are. To an extent there's some element of right place right time in anything but there's a lot of hard work involved too. Why focus on what we can't control and focus on what we can: your attitude, drive, keeping eye out for new opportunity for your business, innovation to keep business competitive or thrive!

There are some things, some incidents, that happen and as humans we often times will call luck (or un-lucky). We declare we had nothing to do with the cause of the outcome.

For many, there's no understanding or explanation.

For some it's an understanding of, we are all children of (an unspoken) through faith in that unspoken one's son.

That is a peace that makes what others call LUCK much less important!

Latest posts