Not your stereotypical farming crowd

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm just making an observation; the more I read on the forum, the more I realize it's not made up if the stereotypical farming crowd.

You guys not only invest in the stock market, but you actually seem to have an understanding of it to the point you discuss it.

It also seems like everyone here is an historical expert as well. I can recall several threads where the finer points of history were thrashed out.

I also saw another thread where someone drove several hours for some kind of poetry event.

If they based Sam Elliot's character on "The Ranch" on you guys, it would be a totally different show.

History is such a vast subject that referring to someone as a 'historical expert' sounds more like a slam of sarcasm
than a compliment. I know you did not mean it that way.

What I will say is there are many that have an interest in history to the point they've read enough and absorbed
enough in the areas of their historical interests that they can hold their own in intelligent discussions of the subject.

MRRherefords":dkfnlps3 said:
Not just a bunch of "dumb farmers" as ive been called.

Heard plenty of those kind of references too, it has always amused and aggravated me that folks will spew openmindedness and then will have an imediate stereotypical view of farmers. Somebody laughed when I once said that farmers were a very diverse crowd.

herofan":1s6xcofa said:
I'm just making an observation; the more I read on the forum, the more I realize it's not made up if the stereotypical farming crowd.

You guys not only invest in the stock market, but you actually seem to have an understanding of it to the point you discuss it.

It also seems like everyone here is an historical expert as well. I can recall several threads where the finer points of history were thrashed out.

I also saw another thread where someone drove several hours for some kind of poetry event.

If they based Sam Elliot's character on "The Ranch" on you guys, it would be a totally different show.
The 'typical farmer crowd' stereoytpe is one made mostly from non-ag people's observations. No such things as 'typical' when it comes to cattle folks..every operation is different..each one unique and just because we all have a heavy interest in cattle doesn't mean we don't have strong interests elsewhere.
Cattle production has so much history tied behind it it's next to impossible to become engaged in it without having quite a bit of knowledge in history, how we got where we are today and the history of where we are today and why, and all that, is intrinsically joined at the hip to all the rest of society and it's history. If one doesn't have a naturally 'curiosity' then there is very little likelihood they will ever get involved in beef or dairy production to begin with. One interest, out of necessity, Matthew, Luke and Chronicles style, begets another, and that one begets another, and then another, and there's plenty of connections to science and society outside mainstream agriculture.

It's not enough to just know cattle prices change, you have to know why and how. It's the same with all ag products.

We are not Oliver and Lisa Douglas.

TennesseeTuxedo":19nf3qhe said:
I'm a little like Oliver.

I watched Green Acres at one time, but I'll bet it's been 40 years since I saw an episode. Please refresh me; I know that Oliver was an intelligent man as far as formal education, but was he a dumb farmer? I couldn't remember if he did a lot of practices that the locals didn't do, but they worked out, or if he was trying to figure it out as he went and making a mess of things. I seem to recall everyone around him was short a few marbles.

herofan":2gzsy7ou said:

define typical , If you are looking for the folks you are describing They are not connected to the interweb there form of learning like our forefathers is done more on a personable level. I can show you non-typical farmers that don't even tote a cell phone. Most here do have some expertise in areas other than AG .

herofan":2odbc9ic said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2odbc9ic said:

I watched Green Acres at one time, but I'll bet it's been 40 years since I saw an episode. Please refresh me; I know that Oliver was an intelligent man as far as formal education, but was he a dumb farmer? I couldn't remember if he did a lot of practices that the locals didn't do, but they worked out, or if he was trying to figure it out as he went and making a mess of things. I seem to recall everyone around him was short a few marbles.

IIRC, Oliver was a NYC barrister before moving to (as his wife pronounced it) 'Hootersville'.
Intelligence (IQ) and experience are 2 completely different things. He had one (at least minimally) , and lacked the other.
Yes, Hooterville was ground zero for weirdos, a fine study of linebreeding vs inbreeding with the most intelligent of the sad lot probably being Arnold the pig.
All, the fictitious thoughts of Hollywood/NYC screenwriters, as was the Clampett clan of The Beverly Hillbillies.

(I do think tho, that one of my previous county agents was close kin to Hank Kimball the County Agent.)

Probably no accident either, that Hootersville was eventually identified as most likely being located in the vicinity of Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky..............the ZIP Code according to Sam Drucker was "four oh five one six and a half.

Feels weird saying this. I often down play my education. Education is not really valued in my family. It's actually not valued by many of my friends. I see some here overly ready to flaunt their knowledge (or in some cases use google). I actually have interest that go well beyond the subjects we brush on here.

greybeard":i2kd6ujx said:
herofan":i2kd6ujx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":i2kd6ujx said:

IIRC, Oliver was a NYC barrister before moving to (as his wife pronounced it) 'Hootersville'.
Intelligence (IQ) and experience are 2 completely different things. He had one (at least minimally) , and lacked the other.
Yes, Hooterville was ground zero for weirdos, a fine study of linebreeding vs inbreeding with the most intelligent of the sad lot probably being Arnold the pig.
All, the fictitious thoughts of Hollywood/NYC screenwriters, as was the Clampett clan of The Beverly Hillbillies.

(I do think tho, that one of my previous county agents was close kin to Hank Kimball the County Agent.)

Probably no accident either, that Hootersville was eventually identified as most likely being located in the vicinity of Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky..............the ZIP Code according to Sam Drucker was "four oh five one six and a half.

That's gettin pretty close to home. Come to think of it I've known of a few Mr. Haney types.

Bigfoot":33c5fo28 said:
Feels weird saying this. I often down play my education. Education is not really valued in my family. It's actually not valued by many of my friends. I see some here overly ready to flaunt their knowledge (or in some cases use google). I actually have interest that go well beyond the subjects we brush on here.

How another values someone else's education says more about that person than it does the educated person.

I urge all young people I meet, to get as much education as they can, including college.
Like a weapon that fires bullets, it's far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

(A couple of college night courses = the extent of my formal education and I really wish I had gone on to get a 2 year degree at community college ..and may yet)

TennesseeTuxedo":1q8y3eqn said:
I'm like Oliver in the sense I know nothing about farming or cattle.

He was a lawyer from New York, the little I know about law I learned the hard way unfortunately.
The field trips are very educational.

There are few things in life that can't be taken away from you....what you have learned or education is one of them.

greybeard":4s2w5f3f said:
herofan":4s2w5f3f said:
TennesseeTuxedo":4s2w5f3f said:

You forgot about the town of Bugtussle.

Latest posts