Not Worms!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
So I had a fecal sample done and for one of my calves it came back as not having worms. He recommended to use a type of dewormer he sold me (the vet) because fecal exams aren't always 100% correct, I gave him this and after about 4 days he is still going down hill, now I have to lift him so he can get up. If it isn't worms, it isn't scours, it's not pnemonia, what else could it be? I've given him plenty of medication trying to treat a lot of different things over the past month but it has all been for not and I haven't went up hill yet on this calf, he just won't get healthy and I am running out of ideas as to what this could be.

No idea what it might be but it may very well be time to cut your losses.

what was wrong with him to begin with & how old is he? sounds like he should be getting electrolites to get his strenght back. what did the vet think was wrong with him? did you try penicillin or biomycin?

I am sorry ,but sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, they just do not respond. Did you look into IBR or BVD ?

dun":3hknt1h4 said:
No idea what it might be but it may very well be time to cut your losses.

I'm beginning to think the same thing, I feel I've done all I can, I've seen these types of symptoms before (on 2 other calves) and after fighting hard with everything possibly I can think of with what might be wrong with them medicating them for about 3 weeks they just keep going down hill and die anyway. I'm thinking it may be time to let him lie.

jerry27150":3hknt1h4 said:
what was wrong with him to begin with & how old is he? sounds like he should be getting electrolites to get his strenght back. what did the vet think was wrong with him? did you try penicillin or biomycin?

I haven't been able to find out what is wrong with him, he is around 2 months old and was healthy for about the first 6 weeks but the last few has just went down hill and I haven't found a cure to stop it. I have had 2 cows (from the same bunch I've been raising act like this) with the same thing and I have pumped them both with 4 pints of electrolytes for 2 weeks straight, one died a few days ago and the other is not improving. I have also given them different electrolytes bounce back, blue ribbon, I've given them Terramycin powder&pills, penicillin, LA 200(which I think is the same as biomycin), I even got a tube of Bolus and gave it a dose of that, used 2 dewormers, paste first and got no response, then went to the vet and used the pour-on stuff he gave me, and have gotten no response, I wouldn't mind trying one more thing if anyone has any suggestions, always hate to loose any, but I'm afraid I may have done all I can over the past 3 weeks to try my best. Just don't know there is much more I can do or want to do.

hillsdown":3hknt1h4 said:
I am sorry ,but sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, they just do not respond. Did you look into IBR or BVD ?

What do these 2 items treat? But I feel it is time like dun said to cut my losses, I am just loosing more every day for a cow that will be dieing shortly I'm afraid.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinf ... heitis-ibr
Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) is a viral disease caused by bovine herpesvirus 1 (BHV-1) that can also cause a mild venereal infection in adult cattle or a brain infection in calves. IBR is a highly contagious disease of the upper respiratory tract and can lead to serious primary or secondary pneumonia. The clinical signs of the disease are nasal discharge, fever and conjunctivitis. Acute disease in dairy cattle is usually accompanied by a severe and prolonged drop in milk production. Adult cows may also suffer from abortion and reduced fertility. Animals suffering from IBR are highly susceptible to secondary bacterial infections.

Latest posts