Not too bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Not too bad for a 14year old Simmental Bull? How long can cattle live to be anyways?

100_1490.JPG

I have a cow whose sire lived about 15 years, breeding cows into his last year. I know for a fact of a horned Hereford cow who lived 29 years, raising a calf every year until she died. I believe 9 years is supposed to be the average productive life of a purebred Hereford or Angus, with the average baldie lasting 11 years.

Make that Hereford a Hazlett/Turner Ranch bloodline, and you probably raise that average to around 12-13 years.

Longhorns live very long lives I'm told.

Old age is definately showing, but he still looks very sound. I'm sure he was quite something to look at when younger.

K2011 said:
Not too bad for a 14year old Simmental Bull? How long can cattle live to be anyways?

100_1490.JPG
[/quote for his feet and legs not too have played out , i think he has went pretty looooong you keep plenty of minerals out for those continentals keep their feet healthy ;-)

The bull looks good for his age.I know Brahmans live long lives too. I had a brangus cow that lived for about 17yrs always had the biggest calf.

weve had dairy cows to live tobe 15 or 20 or older.an they was going through the barn twice a day.

The oldest cows in my herd of registered Tuli cattle are as follows:

1 - 15 year old
6 - 14 year olds
1 - 13 year old
4 - 12 year olds

All these cows are still productive and holding their body condition well. The 13 year old and 2 of the 14 year olds calved last month (all heifer calves). I am expecting the rest to calve between October and December.

I bought these cows from one of the biggest breeders of Tuli cattle in Zimbabwe as part of my stud operations that i began a year ago. The rest of my stud herd is made up of 50 heifers between 1 and 2 1/2 years old and about 10 cows between 7 and 9 years old. I'll post pictures of some of the old cows when i manage to get some good ones.

Latest posts