Not too bad

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I have never known anyone to spay a heifer. What is the process? do they have to put them down to do it? Costly?
i hadn't heard of it either. after a little research seems like it is done quite a lot and worth it for feedlot cattle.

http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/2213/spaying-heifers-what-is-it-worth/

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I have never known anyone to spay a heifer. What is the process? do they have to put them down to do it? Costly?

Neighbor B is saying about $5 a head. I know very little but I know they do it in the chute. Worked with a guy years ago. His daughter worked on a ranch in Montana. He said that she spay about 200 a day. I know that it is a fairly common practice in Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas.

Those heifers will work just fine for you Dave, what is your plans for feeding them and what weight do you expect them to be come April?
I think spaying feeder heifers does pay when you go to grass. There is a risk with the odd one dying but the guys in this country that spay keep doing it so it must work.

gcreekrch said:
Those heifers will work just fine for you Dave, what is your plans for feeding them and what weight do you expect them to be come April?
I think spaying feeder heifers does pay when you go to grass. There is a risk with the odd one dying but the guys in this country that spay keep doing it so it must work.

They will get pretty good grass hay and about 2 or 3 pounds of grain a day. I am going to be looking into grain availability here next week. Back when I was raising the bred heifers on the coast I fed corn and distillers mixed 50/50. They grew well on that. There isn't going to be too many and I am retired so feeding by the bucket will just give me something to do. I am just shooting for a pound a day which should make them around 600 pounds come April.

Latest posts