Not to be rubbing it in But

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I feel sorry for you guys that are really needing rain so bad but I am also happy that we have had rain everyday since friday, July 10th
some days it is just a 10th and the most we have had has been aroud 1" but You will never hear me complain about rain in the middle of July
I have had 15 acres of alfalfa ruined because of it and I haven't been able to run the dozer but I am still happy about the rain
wish some more on here that need it would get some

I'm in the same boat. I wish I could loan my rain out to some who need it. Scattered showers are really making the the thought of cutting hay mighty risky business. Every other day soomeone is getting a shower. I'm not complaining cause this is better than the drought but I do wish I could send it to Texas for about 4 days.

It's been over a month since we had anything measureable. My yard looks like a sand lot. I'm haying and this is the earliest I have ever done so. It isn't bad all over, but it seems like we have had a spot drought here. I swear, if I moved to where you are, I'd bring it with me.

I heard on the news this past weekend that this is the second worst drought in Tx since they have been tracking. We got LOTS of rain up here Tuesday and it made me feel guilty when I know it is needed elsewhere so bad. I am sure our fields appreciated though.

angie":29to8mb4 said:
I heard on the news this past weekend that this is the second worst drought in Tx since they have been tracking. We got LOTS of rain up here Tuesday and it made me feel guilty when I know it is needed elsewhere so bad. I am sure our fields appreciated though.

This is true and a lot of folks and cattle are suffering. Cattle are being taken to the salebarn in high numbers due to burned up pastures and high dollar hay. A lot of people are excited right now just over the 40% chance of rain we're expecting this weekend.

BeefmasterB":o87jdf18 said:
angie":o87jdf18 said:

This is true and a lot of folks and cattle are suffering. Cattle are being taken to the salebarn in high numbers due to burned up pastures and high dollar hay. A lot of people are excited right now just over the 40% chance of rain we're expecting this weekend.
if the freight wouldn't kill them they could sure buy hay around here cheap we have alot left from last yr and everybody is having good crops this yr
I have sold some 4x5 bales weighing 1000# for $30 and that is high I have seen lots of hay in the barn for $25 and some that is outside for $10

Angus Cowman":7vnbrsej said:
if the freight wouldn't kill them they could sure buy hay around here cheap we have alot left from last yr and everybody is having good crops this yr
I have sold some 4x5 bales weighing 1000# for $30 and that is high I have seen lots of hay in the barn for $25 and some that is outside for $10
I'd say load it up and bring it on down but I'm not sure who you would sell it to with the way cattle are going to market. But then, hay is headed west by the truck and trailer load all day long so someone is buying it. Did see a flyer at the sale yesterday, someone was offering 4x5 bahaia and ryegrass mix for $70. Unharvested corn is going for $50 for 6x6.

Angus Cowman":38ymwulb said:
BeefmasterB":38ymwulb said:

Send it my way please, hay is going for 150 dollars a 1200 lb bale right now, dairy's are taking out 100000 $ + loans for feed they have no choice, either fill their quota or lose it. I doubt there will be any beef guys that do that , you would never be able to pay it back. Our alfalfa needs to be cut now, we usually do 10% bloom but with the drought we have left it for full bloom ,it is only a foot tall. :( It will be sh@tty feed and not much of it. Each day the amount of cattle I get to keep goes down . Zero precip in the forecast for at least 9 days and by next week we are to be in the 30's for temps.

hillsdown":12k8rocd said:
Angus Cowman":12k8rocd said:
BeefmasterB":12k8rocd said:

Send it my way please, hay is going for 150 dollars a 1200 lb bale right now, dairy's are taking out 100000 $ + loans for feed they have no choice, either fill their quota or lose it. I doubt there will be any beef guys that do that , you would never be able to pay it back. Our alfalfa needs to be cut now, we usually do 10% bloom but with the drought we have left it for full bloom ,it is only a foot tall. :( It will be sh@tty feed and not much of it. Each day the amount of cattle I get to keep goes down . Zero precip in the forecast for at least 9 days and by next week we are to be in the 30's for temps.

I'll bet that is an unpleasant affair at the bank. Trying to convince a banker your gonna pay back a loan with $10 milk is a hard sell.

Larry

Angus Cowman":24od1os1 said:
I feel sorry for you guys that are really needing rain so bad but I am also happy that we have had rain everyday since friday, July 10th
some days it is just a 10th and the most we have had has been aroud 1" but You will never hear me complain about rain in the middle of July
I have had 15 acres of alfalfa ruined because of it and I haven't been able to run the dozer but I am still happy about the rain

Why do you love the rain so much? I am darn sick of it. Can't cut hay and its mud all the time, garden is doing crappy and its gray outside all the time-what's so great about that? I feel bad for the people down south/out west that don't get any but I am soooo sick of it. We had rain 27 out of the 30 days in June. I don't know how many inches-but a lot. Several inches a couple days. :cry2:

LoveMoo11":zumcqfp1 said:
Angus Cowman":zumcqfp1 said:

Why do you love the rain so much? I am darn sick of it. Can't cut hay and its mud all the time, garden is doing crappy and its gray outside all the time-what's so great about that? I feel bad for the people down south/out west that don't get any but I am soooo sick of it. We had rain 27 out of the 30 days in June. I don't know how many inches-but a lot. Several inches a couple days. :cry2:
because I hadn't had any good rain in about 3 weeks and in my country if it rains today then we are 10 days away from a drought, our ground looses moisture fast and the grass quits growing so that is why I am happy about rain
if we don't get some rain every 2 weeks in the summer we don't have grass

It was sunny, 91* and humid. Three PM it clouded up and rained. It is raining now.
Tom.

Larry, the Canadian milk industry especially the Alberta industry is not in trouble.. In fact it is one of the few ag sectors left that make huge bucks , problem is (in Alberta anyways) you need a few mill to start milking even 100 head and that is just for quota not cows or land or buildings. So getting a loan will not be a problem nor will paying it back.

Sure wish we could send our "extra" rain to those that need it so badly. We've had so much rain that we've been having to mow the yard twice a week and there are toadstools in it. This is usually the time of year that the lawn "crackles" when you step on it. White clover has sprung up in the pasture everywhere. The down side, I don't see how anybody got hay put up around here without it getting wet while it was curing. But there's plenty of it and it is going to be cheaper this year. Maybe one of those years where they start trucking it to the dry places to sell it for more money since fuel isn't as high as last year.

We got a real turd floater about two this morning. I got up, sat on the back porch and just thanked the Lord for it. I haven't checked to see how much yet but it rained hard for about an hour. This will help things in the short run, green things up a bit and help the garden. We only had a 20% chance so I was impressed that we got some. I didn't watch the weather, as it is depressing, but I heard on the radio that there were showers at the Oklahoma border and they would not get past 287. Don't know if there were other showers that developed out west or not, as that's normally where our rain comes from.

I'm a pretty happy duck to day. I sure hope others got some rain who needed it.

Wish I could send you our low pressure system we have had thunder storms for the past two nights and one months rain in one day, flash floods but no real damage. and more rain is forcast for today again. :mad: although it is still warm but not a hot as it should be for this time of year.

chrisy":7a13i6xy said:
Wish I could send you our low pressure system we have had thunder storms for the past two nights and one months rain in one day, flash floods but no real damage. and more rain is forcast for today again. :mad: although it is still warm but not a hot as it should be for this time of year.
We used to have those types of rains too, before they turned into none at all.

Latest posts