Not the best start!

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
I had asked some advice awhile back about early Weaning and all is going well on the first set of calves. Got them Vaccinated with Triangle 10 and Bar-Vac 7, and got them moved to their new pasture. Now the not so good part. I put 6 more in to fence line wean yesterday, when I went to feed this morning this is what I found! Guess I'll start again in a few days.

southernultrablack":2j16oc23 said:
I had asked some advice awhile back about early Weaning and all is going well on the first set of calves. Got them Vaccinated with Triangle 10 and Bar-Vac 7, and got them moved to their new pasture. Now the not so good part. I put 6 more in to fence line wean yesterday, when I went to feed this morning this is what I found! Guess I'll start again in a few days.

I have experienced a similar situation, one time. I had gotten everybody penned-up that I planned on taking to the sales the next day. Felt so good and proud of myself that I had gotten everything done, well organized and all before dark. Next morning, wham! That's what I found, gate down and everyone all mixed up. LOLOL

First time i separated them, found em on the other side of a closed gate on day 3 or 4 IIRC. The gate had a big ol V crushed into it.

Walked them right back into it w some feed.

I always install a loose fitting chain top and bottom to prevent the gate from falling off if the hinge fails, just good insurance for me as I hate chasing cattle on foot.

Workinonit Farm":31ll5erd said:
southernultrablack":31ll5erd said:

I have experienced a similar situation, one time. I had gotten everybody penned-up that I planned on taking to the sales the next day. Felt so good and proud of myself that I had gotten everything done, well organized and all before dark. Next morning, wham! That's what I found, gate down and everyone all mixed up. LOLOL

My personal favorite is when you do all that and get up the next morning to find them not only out of where you out them but in the neighbors pasture.

Got those little buggers caught up again today!! Got one gate hinge turned upside down, gates chained closed with a panel over it and another gate chained in there for good measure. Hope they stay in this time!!

southernultrablack":238zj9av said:
Got those little buggers caught up again today!! Got one gate hinge turned upside down, gates chained closed with a panel over it and another gate chained in their for good measure. Hope they stay in this time!!

That ought to do it! :lol2:

At least you didn't get them in the trailer , just to watch them go out the side door that you forgot to latch.