not the best day

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
pulled a calf out of a heifer not shure she might of had it her self but thought a little help wouldnt hurt as it looked like a bigger than normal calf for us. the pull went pretty easy and i took it easy and slow. went and opened the head gate to let her out and she had prolapsed with in them few seconds as i was looking at the calf. got her back in and put her back together got her stiched up..now if she clamies the calf in a bit if not i will be givin a bottle of clostrum and seeing what moring brings..i already have 3 on the bottle this fall and were not even half way done on 26 head. i knew tht spring calving went way to easy.

If you have a small, inquisitive, well behaved dog put it in with the cow and calf, usually it triggers her maternal instinct and she'll protect and accept the calf.

Why are you having all this problems? Give me more background on the weight of the heifers at breeding and again at calving, calf weight, bull you used etc. You shouldn't experience that much problems with herefords.

the heifer now is about 1100 maybe 1200 lbs i dont know what she was when we breed her but she was fair sized. she mothered up to the calf shortly after i posted that last night when i went to check them again the calf had sucked and this am they were good buddys. the calf was extra big i dont think we ever had one that big out of the set of bulls we used and we used them since 07 and there not related to her at all. i marked it up to just one of them things that happens. we have calved 3 of her sisters already this fall breed the same way and they all had nice 80ish lb calves one even had twins 30 hours apart and they both weighed 70ish apeice both bulls. i am just thankfull that our vet is teaching me alot and was able to get the prolaps back in and sewed up with out a vet bill...so 24 hours later and the calf is doing great and mom too

0925111605.jpg

Glad she and the calf are doing well now .

That is certainly a big calf for a heifer, what went wrong with the other three that are on bottle?

one was a twin from a heifer just not enuff milk. second was a old cow that should have been culled and she didnt have enuff milk and the third was a mastitus (sp) case..this is not our normal calving season. we have several cows that need culled but trying to save heifers and culling as we have heifers to replace them several are going at weaning time

Latest posts