Not so Good

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Last night we had a cow calving, she wanted to be attached to another cow's calf, so we took her up to the corral. Figured in an hour or so, she would have a calf. She has never had a problem before. An hour later (11:20pm) I went out, and she is showing NO signs of doing anything major, no pushing, no waterbag. So, as it was late I ran her in an checked things out, from what I could tell, she wasn't quite fully dialated, but the calf wasn't huge, and it was coming right. Figured I would give her a couple more hours. Went out again about 1 am, still no sign of hard labour. Figured, oh well, she is just taking her time. So went to bed, told hubby to set the alarm for 3 or 4 am.

He got up, still no calf. When he checked her he thought there should be no reason for her to have not calved. So he pulled the calf, 85 lb DEAD bull calf. It had probably been dead for some time (maybe a day or so), it had never entered the birth canal, and the feet were just on the edge of the pelvis. Thus, no stimulation for the cow to push. Figured the calf was big enough, and he didn't check for a second calf. Big mistake, although, she was still not showing any signs of labour. A few hours later, I went in to let her out of the barn, and low and behold there is a hind leg coming. Bad situation, one leg back, but finally the cow was pushing. It was an easy pull, but of course a second dead bull calf, this one about 75 lbs.

There were no signs that the calves were alive when she went into labour, if alive one or both of them should have taken their first BM (meconium)during this fiasco. No sign of that, both calves were completely clean. It was a wierd situation, and not something most are likely to run into. Plus, when I first examined the cow, I realized that the calf showed no signs of life, didn't pull back, or anything. But I wasn't really paying attention to that, just wanted to make sure that it wasn't huge, or malpresented, and it wasn't.

I guess, I should probably have pulled the first calf at midnight when I checked her the first time, but I really thought she just needed a bit more time. And since she never had the waterbag, there was nothing to time by. She had shown interest in a calf at about 10:30 am, but that really didn't mean any more than that she was probably going to calve, she had her tail up, but there were no definitive signs that she was in second stage labour. I believe the calves were dead before she went into labour, and that there was nothing we could have done to save them.

that stinks. sounds like one of them "poo happens" deals that happen to me all the time. thanks for sharing tho.

One of those dang things that happens. You are not the first nor will you be the last fooled by that same thing. Been there.
They always say hind sight is 20/20.
I've had cows with feet presenting try and take other newborn calves. You never know with those girls.
Chin up Randi. Look forward to the next new calf you get and how great it feels to see that one.

Thanks, everyone. I don't mind twins, and we rarely have problems with them. No more so than with any other calf/s. On the bright side of things yesterday, we had 5 live, healthy calves. And another so far this morning. Things are going quite well.

you cant beat yourself up because the cow had twins an both were dead.like you said you knew she was ready to calve but no signs.so you put her up an watched her all nite.thus giving her time to calve if she could.an missing the 2nd calf wasnt your falt.you didnt think they was twins.that was a freak calving deal.

I agree just bad luck. You did everything right in my book. I also agree that they were dead ahead of time, I have found that if the amount of time the calf is in the birth canal is more important than the length of time the cow is calving.

Yup. First calves on the ground for me this season . . . two dead bull twins AI sired to one of my best cows.

Couple years back had one die in momma's belly too. Not a twin either. Never entered birth canal.

Hate it.

Hey Randiliana ,
I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago .
A cow not due for 5 weeks leaking amniotic fluid.
I finally put her in the squeeze after watching her a few more hours and put a hand in .Calf had both front feet down and head twisted back . Finally got it out , it had been dead for a while since hair was slipping a bit. kicked her back out and later that night while checking saw her pushing out a foot . Put her in the barn and pulled out the twin. Not in very good shape so ended up loosing both.
Not anything I could have done but I will always check for twins after this.

Sorry about the bad deal. It happens to all of us. Like they said hindsight is 20/20. Congrats on the healthy babies since.
Double R

Thanks for all the comments. Other than this set of twins, and one other cow our calving has been going really well. Haven't (knock on wood) have to touch hardly anything, so far. 1 backwards, a heifer, and a couple of convenience's. It seems that they are either calving on their own, or if they have problems they are major ones. But on both the cows that we lost calves, there were no signs that they were ready to calve. Oh, well, stuff happens. Hope the last half is a good half......

Thanks for all the comments. Other than this set of twins, and one other cow our calving has been going really well. Haven't (knock on wood) have to touch hardly anything, so far. 1 backwards, a heifer, and a couple of convenience's. It seems that they are either calving on their own, or if they have problems they are major ones. But on both the cows that we lost calves, there were no signs that they were ready to calve. Oh, well, stuff happens. Hope the last half is a good half......