Not so free hay barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Several months ago the boss got a call from one of his disaster relief friends. He had been contacted by a local church about taking down a metal building. The building had been constructed on an old land fill and the slab was falling in, they had spent a bunch of money over the years trying to repair it but couldn't keep putting money into it. So the boss and his friends volunteered to take it down, keep in mind these guys are all mid 60's or older. The idea was take it down and haul it off, but then they had the idea of using it as a hay barn. This project started last February they finished demolition in time to have the site cleared off in time for VBS. The boss loaded and hauled all the parts and pieces to the farm, I was afraid he was going to kill himself in the process but once he makes up his mind he is a flipping bull dog. Well after several months of hard work we have a new old hay barn.

Now if we can just get some more hay cut! So far we have around 300 bales rolled up but the weather just hasn't cooperated.

Gizmom

gizmom":brdms9k9 said:
Several months ago the boss got a call from one of his disaster relief friends. He had been contacted by a local church about taking down a metal building. The building had been constructed on an old land fill and the slab was falling in, they had spent a bunch of money over the years trying to repair it but couldn't keep putting money into it. So the boss and his friends volunteered to take it down, keep in mind these guys are all mid 60's or older. The idea was take it down and haul it off, but then they had the idea of using it as a hay barn. This project started last February they finished demolition in time to have the site cleared off in time for VBS. The boss loaded and hauled all the parts and pieces to the farm, I was afraid he was going to kill himself in the process but once he makes up his mind he is a flipping bull dog. Well after several months of hard work we have a new old hay barn.

Now if we can just get some more hay cut! So far we have around 300 bales rolled up but the weather just hasn't cooperated.

Gizmom

That is sweet! Nice barn!!

The building is 75x80 the eve height wasn't high enough for a hay barn so they came up with a way to increase the eve height by building the concrete columns see barrels there are two welded together. Concrete (lots) plus threaded steel rods to bolt it all together. I don't know exactly how deep the holes were but they were deep with rebar. Hopefully it will still be there after a hurricane blows through. I was afraid he was going to kill himself with this project, I just praise God it is done and he is ok. Don't get me wrong he had lots of help getting it done but he stressed over it, and did a lot of the heavy lifting getting the thing moved. Jacob figures we should be able to get 580 bales in the building, the boss has wanted a hay barn for the past 10 years now maybe the next project can be a farm office with a bathroom!

Gizmom

looks good . FWIW when stacking in a barn with dirt floor . take a bale of hay and unroll it on each row to set the stacks on . The bottom bales will look perfect on the end next to the ground when pulled out. need at least 6" of hay as the separator .

So now if any of you know of some good used hay feeder wagons for sale please give me a heads up. Looks like that is going to be put ahead of my office and bathroom! Thank God for the stock trailer looks like it will be duel purpose for awhile longer :mad:

Gizmom

The hay feeder wagons are nice. I bought one last winter an ag teacher had built for himself and lost his grass lease. We are looking for another. Have seen some but they are a ways off. With the new hay barn and a few hay wagons you will be in business. We are using the hay wagon to feed hay that the netting is rotten and it falls apart using the bale bed.

Looks like we may have another short window of opportunity mid week to get some more hay cut. We will cut two fields we haven't been able to get yet. The problem is everything we cut last time is ready to cut again. All this rain is a blessing just difficult to make hay around. With drought in so many areas of the country I am sure not going to complain about rain. I just wish we could send it to the folks that are needing it.

Gizmom

I hope it isn't that short of a window, because we are in line for hay cutting after you.. LOL.. We are getting our first cutting of hay this summer. :bang:

Thanks AZ it was originally built in the early 60's sonot new but sure works for what we needed it for. it was a chore. Jscunn our hay man left our place heading to yours about mid day. Hopefully we can both get more hay in the barn this week!

Gizmom

Latest posts