Not paying much for weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Mainly smaller producers then? Bigger guys selling direct to the feedlots? Seems like the buyers are just taking advantage of something because they can(that's an absolute guess). It only makes sense that a feeder increases in value towards the value of a fat as it gets closer to being one assuming it's not going to finish at a bad time. Something that some in the cow/calf business tend to forget to ask themselves is when will this calf finish? Can be smart to calve at a different time to cut costs etc but will they finish when someone wants to fire up a barbecue?
Very few small producers. Almost entirely full time ranches. Some direct selling, some on the video, and some that take their calves to the sale. Taking them too close makes it a gamble for the feedlot. Too short of time in the feedlot ends up with too many yellow fats, selects, over size, and other deductions when the plant is buying them on the grid.
The people I bought my bulls from for years retained ownership for years. They did that on 400/500 calves a year. They wanted their cattle harvested in April. That is historically a high month on price for fat cattle.

In this area 700 lb strs have few takers. They need to be under 650 or over 750. They really dock the 700 pounders. Our 646 lb strs brought more than our 700 lb strs in late Jan

In this area 700 lb strs have few takers. They need to be under 650 or over 750. They really dock the 700 pounders. Our 646 lb strs brought more than our 700 lb strs in late Jan
Were the 700 lb calves straight off the cow at 7 months of age or so?

Were the 700 lb calves straight off the cow at 7 months of age or so?
No due to the drought they were weaned at 6-7 months and fed wheat hay and 4-5 lbs of a growing mix. Had 2 rounds of shots. Part of it was the barn we sold at also. The heifer mates we sold a week later at another barn topped the market and we had cut replacements off of them. The strs were good and very healthy.

Used to be many buyers had orders for 500 or 750 lb. steers - - so 6 wt. prices were soft. Has this changed? Are heifers different?

We have been buying some of the 550-750 wts and sending to a guy.... paying in the $.65 + up.... yes 65 cents.... up to about $.85..... getting $1.00 lb for them direct, no commission etc.... sometimes we have to keep and feed them for a month or more though, until he calls and needs them... mostly common cattle... no dairy.... no horns, steers or heifers, and heifers have to be open or given a shot..... we had plenty of silage so didn't cost alot to keep them this winter. I just bought a steer 2 weeks ago....nut job in the ring..... 770 lbs for $.77... he went in 10 days for 1.00. He may have lost a few lbs... but by the time they hit 600+ lbs, they don't drop much weight..... I haven't heard the total weight son had at "buying time" or the total cost... but there were 18 head and they averaged around 750 lbs....so about 13,500.... I don't have the exact figures.... but making about 100-150 per head.... after feed costs of less than 1.00/day.... That steer for example was under 600 and brought around 750 with only 10 days feed.... and he had calmed down from an off the wall nutcase to just a little spooky.... no we don't always do that good or turn them around that fast... but we can buy heifers for under 1.00 all day long... most under .80....

Shipped a nice charolais heifer of mine that I was going to keep and breed... but she was high headed and even though she would come in, if you shut gates she was looking for a way over and out, and was getting worse as she got older.... Decided that I didn't need that kind of stupidity ...been on feed..... she weighed 930 and they took her... might have gotten 650/700 at the stockyard with her attitude...so at least I didn't lose my butt on her.... bought a bred cow at the sale 2 weeks ago... paid 650 and she just dropped a nice bull calf.... so came out better in the long run....

Don't know why that size doesn't attract people.... the heifers are ready to breed size mostly.... got a couple that are bred and they will stay to calve here.... needed some groceries.... looking pretty good now.... but they were discounted because people don't want to take a chance on heifers like that.... He//, we had that one prolapse after calving and lost her about 6 hours after vet bill of 300 to put it back in... I will take a chance on a 5-600 one .... instead of burying another 1500 one...

Light calves are hot, heavies are not. Currently they are paying U$S 0.50 to 0.55 per pound of gain for heavies. Can not buy stored feed for that.

I am gambling on some black heifers - - paying an average of 1.15 for 714 pounders. Will take some of them to grass and play for the rebound.

It doesn't make sense except that they can ship more cattle per load with the smaller ones... but the feed costs will equal all that out soon I think. We can buy 7 wt heifers here for $.75-1.00 lb. I am glad that all our feeders are gone.

Took a bus load of my misfits today. Most all between 450-550. I will know on Thursday if that worked out. Sure don't see getting them bigger pay around here.

I see what your saying but what does it cost to put 150# on? That 150# may net you $50 to $75 on the topside. My cows and I would venture to guess most cows here won't wean a 700# calf. So that means weaning and feeding it to get that weight. It is not worth it. Also a 485 bull calf would have gotten you $75 dollars more last week than one that weighed 585#. It is all about hitting that magic slot. The problem is that slot moves around a little. It doesn't make sense but that is the market here. Know it is different where you are and your cows raise a different kind of calf. One of those sharp Blonde crosses of yours would bring $.50-.85 here most likely and is a way better calf than anything I have or would likely be at the barn any given day. Gotta sell what they buy same as my cattle would get laughed out the sale ring there.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of guys here making money on that also. They pick up these cheap calves and have the ability to group them and the connections to sell them. They make good money on these "exotic" calves they pick up as oddballs and group up to resell because they gain like crazy.

I am always fascinated by the regional differences of what sells and for what money.

In thinking about it the$.50-.85 is probably a little aggressive but they would be back $.30-.40 pretty easy and all that I said above still applies.

I see what your saying but what does it cost to put 150# on? That 150# may net you $50 to $75 on the topside. My cows and I would venture to guess most cows here won't wean a 700# calf. So that means weaning and feeding it to get that weight. It is not worth it. Also a 485 bull calf would have gotten you $75 dollars more last week than one that weighed 585#. It is all about hitting that magic slot. The problem is that slot moves around a little. It doesn't make sense but that is the market here. Know it is different where you are and your cows raise a different kind of calf. One of those sharp Blonde crosses of yours would bring $.50-.85 here most likely and is a way better calf than anything I have or would likely be at the barn any given day. Gotta sell what they buy same as my cattle would get laughed out the sale ring there.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of guys here making money on that also. They pick up these cheap calves and have the ability to group them and the connections to sell them. They make good money on these "exotic" calves they pick up as oddballs and group up to resell because they gain like crazy.

I am always fascinated by the regional differences of what sells and for what money.
Here a 485 pound bull might sell for more than a 585 pound bull. But if they were both steers the larger one would be worth more money. And being bulls the light one would be 30 cents back of steer price and the bigger one 40 cents back. Go to a sale with 3,000 calves and there wont be more than half a dozen bulls.

Similar to you @Dave , the bull calves are .25 to .40 back of a steer of the same weight. There are often 10-20% of the total "male calves" at the sales, as bulls. One reason is that small operations here don't have the facilities to get them in and cut/castrate them. A few years ago they were maybe .10 back of steers so not worth the time or effort on the small operator.... but that only happens about once every 10 years or so. Also, so many of the smaller operators... and I am talking 25-50 cows or less, are farmers that are getting older and help is getting harder to find, so they just can't get them done.

We will buy some of the nicer bull calves.... 450-550 wts.... and castrate and keep for a month and then put together with others and sell as steers in groups. It works to get them early in the year.... Dec/Jan/Feb and then sell in March after they are healed, weaned and eating. For example we bought a nice group of 6 bull calves weighed 525... for 1.26.... we castrated ( we band with a callicrate bander as we have had good luck with that) and kept for about a month/6 weeks maybe. They sold for 1.75 and weighed about 550/560 ... in a group of 12 that we put together. Total spent in purchase was 661.50/hd. Total received for sale 962.50. So 300/hd increase. They get vaccinated and a few had gotten a snotty nose so all got treated for a week with aureomycin crumbles in the feed. With feed costs, vaccine, multimin, and even the week long crumbles, we still figure we got around 200/hd profit for 6 weeks. No, we don't do that often, but we figure if we clear 100 or more per head for a 4-6 week time frame, that is positive cash flow. We did a little of this the last 2 years, but did more this year with all the corn silage that we had available.

This is not counting the "common" misfit cattle we buy at reduced costs and then sell direct to the other guy direct. Those we try to buy in the .60-.85 range and then sell for 1.00 direct. Not alot of money there but still a little on the plus side. Plus they can be either heifers or steers and we can buy more of the cheap heifers....

Black is what sells around here, so any of the hereford heifers and even steers, that are cheap, are good candidates for this buy/sell deal. We can buy hereford type of cattle greatly discounted here. It is sad that good cattle that are the "wrong color" will not make a farmer a fair return on their animals.
I will buy more hereford and red cows at the bred cow sales for cheap prices because of the "black cattle" mentality.
I like my cow/calf operation....but that said, we can make more money, FASTER, with a better turn around, buying and selling ...... basically as cattle traders.... although we do not "trade" cattle with turnaround weekly... we take them and work into groups to make them more attractive to a buyer, and partly because we also want them to do good for the buyers. So in some ways we have become "backgrounders" .....

We do not have the availability of rangeland/grazing here in this area, like out west. What grazing land is available, we are paying more for and the upkeep of fencing etc is getting to make it all cost too much. Too many people, too much liability with fences, houses, roads..... too much time spent with travel back and forth to places, most places too small to handle more than 10-25 head cattle so LOTS of places needed....
And add to that needing help to keep up the fences and checking on cattle, and not being able to find reliable decent help that has some ability and knowledge and COMMON SENSE on how to do the daily stuff.

You are so right @SmokinM . I am sure that the cattle that @Silver and some of the Canada breeders have are real nice... but the color will kill a calf here..... if it ain't black, it is not "good enough" which is totally BS.... but a fact of life here.
No we don't wean a 700 # animal.... 450 -550 on average, all according to when we wean, the fall born calves will wean lighter than the spring born calves. And our market here works better for these 450-550 wts. Never could figure it out, but you learn to raise and sell what the market wants around here.
It is a little like the deer... Northern deer seem to be bigger than the southern deer harvested here. I think there is a difference in the animals systems, even the dna, for the animals acclimated to the northern temps and feed available, to the southern animals. Yes there are big animals here, but the more moderate ones seem to be more economical and do better than the larger ones that seem to do better in the more northern climates. Just like the brahma influenced breeds do better in the hotter temp areas.