not my calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a 1000 pound black bull with horns show up [bad one] I knew the owner. called him [older guy] He says "next time you take cattle to the sale take him along" :roll: So, I wanted him out fast, worked him into the corral for loading. What a job, by myself and this bull is bad. He did all he could to get me, and came close.
Got the job done and had the check sent to the old guy. Never offered to pay me. :mad:

Last April my wife and I leased a bull from her sister. All was fine until we unloaded him. We didn't know that he had never been by himself, he had always been with a pen mate and so we unloaded him into a pen by himself. He went nuts! First started walking the pen, the trotting around the pen, and then flat running around. He had also never seen horses before and all of his comotion made them run right up to his pen. He jumped a six foot tall wood fence and was gone! He ended up going through two fields and into a gravel pit where he swam a river that was at flood stage. I could only see his ears and nose as he swam across. Long story short that bull got onto a submerged island and stood there for three hours. We finally had to get a small boat to chase him to the other side and when he got out he was pissed! Got him chased up into the neighbors lot and loaded and then unloaded at our place...again. This time though he went right in with the cows. We were supposed to have our horse at the breeders by 11 that Saturday, but she didn't get there until 8 that night.

My sister had a neighbor's blind calf show up in her swimming pool one morning. The neighbor was gone on a camping trip. It was dead. Needles to say, he doesn't take very good care of his cattle.

arkcowman":25ne85ov said:
It seems a whole lot of animals are getting into ya'lls places.
Does it not stand to reason then that some of your animals
could get out ?

That's always a possibility.

In the case of the red heifer, she had broken a fence into a pasture I wasn't using at the time, then jumped the fence into the pasture where I had my cows.

In the case of the horse, he had been being kept in a small lot of trees with hay and water only, a tree fell onto the fence, the horse hopped out and into where my cows were. Yes, the cows could very well have then gotten into that horses lot, however they had no desire to do so when they had a 50 acre field of grass with a creek and some shade trees.

In the case of the other neighbors pigs, they just scooted under the barbed wire, and my cows and calves aren't that short :lol: .

In the case of the Lim bull, he broke a fence and travelled down the paved road then up our driveway but didn't get in with the cows.

Fortunately the few times I've had one get out, it has stayed here on the property as in in the 'yard' or into a different pasture.

Katherine

Latest posts