not my calf

Help Support CattleToday:

blueridge

Reaction score
I was wandering if anyone has had a lost calf appear in their pasture before? I have tried to find the owner and have had no luck. This calf is probably five to six months old. It is in great shape except for a few scratches on his legs. It is just strange that a calf (if it is not weaned) would wander off from its mother. It has been bellowing for days but seems to be settling down with the other calves. The calf has no tags or tatoos at all to identify it. I want to make sure the rightful owner get it back.

blueridge":22hwzjae said:
I was wandering if anyone has had a lost calf appear in their pasture before?

Yep, came home and found a red Lim heifer out there one day.
She was here for 3 days before I could find the owner. Apparently he had moved his herd from one pasture to another and she got left behind. She had worked her way into the woods, through a couple of fences and onto our place.

To find the owner I just started making phone calls and driving to the other side of the 'hill' (very small mountain) to folks on the other side. Finally found her owner, he came and picked her up a few days after that.

Katherine

Had two cows show up about 5 years ago. Found owner a couple weeks later, kept promising he would come pick them up. After about 3 months of wintering them I loaded them up and dropped them off at his house myself. He offered to pay me for taking care of them, which I offered to accept except he didn't have any money on him. That was 5 years ago. He tends to avoid me now.

cfpinz

Yep, had few over the years. Guys around me ran "woods cows" and let run wherever they wanted. Got a brangus calf in the pasture one day and ran it back out, it came back, I ran it out, it came back. I called the owner of the woods cows and he said keep it, so I did. She is still on farm and has given me at least 12 calves.

Found another on the road. Called the owner because not neighbors run cows and more. He said, "you wanna buy it?". I said how much? He said "make an offer". I offered $450 for about a 15-20 MO heifer baldy. He said "$350 and she is yours". She is now bred and doing well. I feel I stole her but....................

One more......30 years ago about 50 woods cows invaded my dads place. We got them all out except one. She charged my dad in an open pasture and he hit her between the eyes with a claw hammer and it just bounced off. I shot her, where she stopped because all I saw was him rolling on the ground. I thought she had got him. She had about 18 inch horns on both sides.

A few years ago 3 showed in during a snowstorm in the middle of the night, I had to go plow snow for the township at 4am. so I went to check on my cows before I left and they were standing outside the shed where cows were. I was pretty sure where they belonged and knew that they weren't being fed like they should be . I had a pen empty in the old barn so I took a bucket of feed and led them down and penned them up. they were so hungry I couldn't go fast enough to stay ahead of them with the bucket. They came later that day and picked them up. One of them was a black bull which they had butchered a month or so ago , I talked with the butcher and he said it was over 4 years old and only wieghed 800 lbs hanging wt. I often have 14-15 month old steers that wiegh 800 lbs and more . I sold my old bull last summer he was 4years old and wieghed 2450 live . I guess it makes a difference when you feed them.

I had a 900 pound heifer show up a couple of years ago. She was wilder than an elk, but she kept hanging around my cows. It took a week to get within a 100 yards of her. After a couple weeks she would stay with the cows when I was around. I was finally able to get her into the pens with all the other cows. She had several brands and I recognized one of them. She had come through about 4 miles of willow jungle river bottom and then swam across the river to get to my pasture.

I was happy to see her leave. We only destroyed one gate getting her loaded up. I think he hauled her straight to the saleyard.

we had a black 3 or 4 month old baby show up this morning, it was easy to spot with our Char calves

haven't bothered to call the neighbor yet - it will probably go back across the fence to it's mother
if not - he can come and trailer it back down the road to his gate

south kentucky cattleman":666e5a9f said:
a very hairy tail twirling around in the air ....... found a red colored mare in my pasture

Found one of those too about a month ago. Took 4 days to track down the owner, he came and got it 2 days after that.

Katherine

Few years back we had just weaned our cattle and someone saw 2 black heifers running down the road from the north of us.. They thought they were ours os they locked them in a pen.. When I got home and saw they I was sure they were not mine... Well, turns out the neighbor had some get out the night before that had just been shipped in from out west.. They ran to the bellering, about 3-4 miles.. The fun part was, the guy who locked them up worked for my neighbor and didn't even realize that cattle were missing or didn't care... Didn't work much longer after that... A couple days later another heifer showed up and it turned out that there were 4 missing in al.. Dourth turned up locked in a barn at a neighbors where it was being given excellent care... But only found after the county mounties paid a visit to said farm..

Little red and white longhorn heifer showed up a couple years ago. Owner was a really old guy. Didn't know his own phone number. We delivered her back to her true home.

Yes we have we found a little calf in our pasture. wasnt ours it hadnt been worked or anything took it all over trying to find the owner, finally gave up and my nephew showed it as a bucket calf

Used to have a yearling Holstein heifer show up every 18 days. After I AIed her she quit fence jumping and made a pretty decent dairy cow. We've had an Emu and a llama turn up too. That's how I discovered that you can rope a llama from a Kawasaki Mule

dun

Here in California your obligated to file a report with authorites of your findings so I guess when the time comes people dont assume you stole it good luck in searching for the owner

I have still had no luck in finding the owner. It is amazing how many that I have talked to and they don't know how many animals they have. I'm not talking about ranches. These farms are only about 15 to 20 acares and have less than a dozen head. They can literally see them all from their kitchen window.

dun":1bflfaj5 said:
Used to have a yearling Holstein heifer show up every 18 days. After I AIed her she quit fence jumping and made a pretty decent dairy cow. We've had an Emu and a llama turn up too. That's how I discovered that you can rope a llama from a Kawasaki Mule

dun
i wish my lamas would disapear. and i wish i could get an emu

I walked out to the barn one morning this spring to find a mare and gelding standing there. Neighbor was selling his house and the realtor had left a gate open. They crossed a county road with foot deep crimson clover in the ditches to get to my place. It's a wonder they weren't hit.

I dont' know that you have any more of an obligation to find the owner over and above what you've already done. It sounds like possibly a young feeder calf that may have gotten out of a backgrounding pasture.

The bad thing is there is a good chance you'll take care of the calf for a few months and THEN have someone show up. Be prepared to suggest the owner pay you for the upkeep! I've had this happen too many times to count.

i bought 2 heifers, i kept them up for several days and then let them out in a lot and they went crazy and both jumped in different directions.one went next door and one went over 5 miles down the highway and through 2 fields into a mans field. a friend of mine happened to be there one day and heard him say it showed up about 2 months ago( it looked just like his calves) when he counted he had one extra, and he told him who it belong to. they can run for miles when shook up so run an ad or put a flier up at the store, i didn't think i would ever find mine.

we have some turn up from time to time. i had a bred charolaisx angus show up one time and stayed long enough to have a charolais calf. a black brangus bull showed up one time. a brangus steer showed up once. a black brangus cow showed up one time. a red brangus cow showed up one time (i'm seeing a pattern now.) and a red limousin showd up with said red brangus cow. i think they were all "new" animals except the bull-he was just bored b/c the mans son (on meth) sold all his cows and hay. i always wondered how they get in and a friend of mine told me a while back he had run some of ours cows in a couple of times on the back road before so that may be how.

its easy to tell the newbies b/c everyone else chases them...
its also nice to know your stock so you can look at it and tell if its yours or not without counting. a couple of weeks a neighborman came and asked me about a black w/face simmental bull that showed up and i told him i didnt have any black w/face bulls.