Not machinery, but how do I fix it.................

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Bucket handles. The plastic handles are breaking off of a bunch of our 5 gallon white buckets. Any one come up with a solution?

dun

Bucket handles. The plastic handles are breaking off of a bunch of our 5 gallon white buckets. Any one come up with a solution?

Some of the five gallon pails I've been getting lately have the whole handle fom end to end as plastic. I've been redoing them with high tensile wire when they break. I put a little hook on each end to get them to hold. Don't know if that is what you mean or not.

I just chunck them and get another one out of the barn. I guess that is the only good thing about using 30 or 40 buckets of hydraulic oil a year.

J Baxter":3utt6lfc said:
I just chunck them and get another one out of the barn. I guess that is the only good thing about using 30 or 40 buckets of hydraulic oil a year.

I'm still using 10 year old buckets. Seems everytime I get another new one I have already gotten a use for two more. And I'm too cheap to buy them empty!

dun

Try your local school, hospital or anywhere that uses industrial cleaners in volume. Another choice is drywallers.

Well Dun, I guess the next time I'm in Mo. I'll just have to bring you a whole passle of buckets. I was in the tool crib yesterday and counted thirty I haven't even taken the tops off of yet and I probably have another thirty or forty still down on the farm I have brought up yet.

JB

J Baxter":19591s8l said:
Well Dun, I guess the next time I'm in Mo. I'll just have to bring you a whole passle of buckets. I was in the tool crib yesterday and counted thirty I haven't even taken the tops off of yet and I probably have another thirty or forty still down on the farm I have brought up yet.

JB

I don;t know how people get by without buckets. They're about as handy as a pocket on a shirt for just about everything.
But when you're this way and have a bunch to get rid of I'll be more then happy to take them off your hands.

dun

I used to get cheap buckets from the local doughnut shop and Amish bakery. They were close to 5 gals. ones with a lid for $0.50-1.00 each.I think they usually threw them away until they found someone who would pay for 'em. You could try the local bakery and maybe even local restuarants.

ffscj":3k0m8ihz said:
I used to get cheap buckets from the local doughnut shop and Amish bakery. They were close to 5 gals. ones with a lid for $0.50-1.00 each.I think they usually threw them away until they found someone who would pay for 'em. You could try the local bakery and maybe even local restuarants.

I subscribe to the old "For free take, for buy waste time" motto.

dun

Same with me, dun. I'm way too frugal (some would say I'm too cheap or tight) to ever consider buying buckets. I've got a few friends that really pour the Strongid wormer to their horses, so I generally have green 5 gallon buckets with lids coming out of my ears! Fast food joints are also good sources -- they buy pickle slices, etc. in 5 gallon buckets. Those pickle buckets are good for garden use, since you know that nothing potentially harmful was ever in them. Wish I could find a source for freebie 50 gallon blue plastic barrels like the carwash outfits get.

Arnold Ziffle":n08g0xe1 said:
Same with me, dun. I'm way too frugal (some would say I'm too cheap or tight) to ever consider buying buckets. I've got a few friends that really pour the Strongid wormer to their horses, so I generally have green 5 gallon buckets with lids coming out of my ears! Fast food joints are also good sources -- they buy pickle slices, etc. in 5 gallon buckets. Those pickle buckets are good for garden use, since you know that nothing potentially harmful was ever in them. Wish I could find a source for freebie 50 gallon blue plastic barrels like the carwash outfits get.

I've been called worse things then cheap. And I'll admit that I am, in some things. If it's some thing that most people throw away I want it for free. If it's something of value, top heifers for instance, I'll pay more then a lot of folks. I know what I like and what I want and I'm willing to pay, if I have to.

dun

Sounds like we subsribe to the same theory of purchasing. I'm noted for three counties as being a cheap*** except when it comes to animals I want and I'll buy them even at a premium.

JB

J Baxter":1h5mluut said:
Sounds like we subsribe to the same theory of purchasing. I'm noted for three counties as being a cheap*** except when it comes to animals I want and I'll buy them even at a premium.

JB

We've alwasy felt that premium animals are money makers in the long run. But I don;t understand paying 10k for a cow, but I see it happen all of the time

dun

I know what you mean on the 10k thing. I was watching RFD the other day. They were selling heifers at the time that were going in the $7500 range that I wouldn't have traded for a couple I have in the pasture, but some guys would note that I buy the best and worst cattle. I buy the best cattle to put in my herd and buy old, poor, bred, cull cows to feed out as I have cheap feed.

JB

Another source for the 5 gallon buckets are paint buckets. Most of the house painter use the larger buckets and the ones with latex paint clean up pretty easy if you don't let it dry out. If you know anyone building a house you might check with them. I know some people in the logging business that use a lot of hyd. oil in their equiptment, sooner or later they've got all the buckets they need and are glad to get rid of some of them.
I keep telling people that I'm frugal also, but they say all they hear are bird sounds, CHEAP!
;-)

Latest posts