Not just here that it is dry...

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Looks like quite a bit of country is lacking in moisture.
drmon.gif

tx_dm.png

Disclaimer says "The drought Monitor focuses on broad-scale conditions. Local conditions may vary..."

No **** Sherlock!
I'll say that is an understatement since we have had a little over 3 inches in essentially two rains since the middle of July... Figure that ought to be worth at least a moderate rating but I guess more of our area has gotten rain that area that hasn't.

July 18 - 1 inch
August 16 - 3/10ths
September 2 thru 9 - 2.9 inches

Here on DelMarVa, we went for two months or so with just trace precipitation. Now it won't stop raining. I cant believe how fast my pasture sprang back. Maybe because I overseeded it the past March.

SirLoin":lt9b8h8m said:
Here on DelMarVa, we went for two months or so with just trace precipitation. Now it won't stop raining. I cant believe how fast my pasture sprang back. Maybe because I overseeded it the past March.
We were the same way until the first of spetember, we got over 11 inches in the fiorst 2 weeks, not a drop since and none in sight for the enxt week

It got bone dry here a few weeks ago then we got 3 inches from one of the storms. Really made a difference.

I totaled all the rainfall, that I got here on my place since May, Friday. The total since May 1st is 2 5/10ths inches. It was cold enough to frost here this morning, but Jack would have to prime himself to spit around here.

1982vett":30eaadh3 said:
Looks like quite a bit of country is lacking in moisture.
drmon.gif

tx_dm.png

Disclaimer says "The drought Monitor focuses on broad-scale conditions. Local conditions may vary..."

No be nice Sherlock!
I'll say that is an understatement since we have had a little over 3 inches in essentially two rains since the middle of July... Figure that ought to be worth at least a moderate rating but I guess more of our area has gotten rain that area that hasn't.

July 18 - 1 inch
August 16 - 3/10ths
September 2 thru 9 - 2.9 inches
We have had no more than you but what is amazing is that the timing has been perfect for making hay. Last year people were charging up to a hundred a roll. This year about 35. I sold mine at 15 in the field. They cut and baled.

SirLoin":33amvv80 said:
That was us last year. Went into Auguse about 14 inches behind averange and ended the year with above average rainfall... :roll: Then it slowed to raining 1 or 2 tenths every 4-5 days to raining once a month. Haven't had anything now for 27 days.

novatech":33amvv80 said:
We have had no more than you but what is amazing is that the timing has been perfect for making hay. Last year people were charging up to a hundred a roll. This year about 35. I sold mine at 15 in the field. They cut and baled.

I've got about $47 in a roll this year. Fertilized some that I didn't cut trying to strentghen the stand. I made a enough hay but only because I have 2/3rds of the cattle I would normally run. My best bermuda went 9% cp and took 2 months to grow between cuttings. Millet did a little better at 10% but it didn't come up well and was about half a stand. Grass I have now isn't much more than brown stems. Oats has been up for 2 weeks and is now dieing out.

Just more of the same ----- that we have had for the past 5 years.