Not Hay Day

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010561.jpg

The man I have to bale hay came and cut three rounds in the field and said there was nothing there so I turned some cows on it. That field has gotten a cumulative 1/2 inch of rain since the first of June.

grannysoo":27k5jwdy said:
Hmmmmmm.... looks like there is some there. Looks can however be deceiving. At least you'll have happy cows!

I'll give my front teeth to have even one pasture like that. :shock:

Does look a bit heat and water stressed, but it is better than anything we have around here right now.

Looks like it will make decent grazing. I can see it ain't even knee high to the cows. If you start getting rain will there be an opportunity for another cut?

ga. prime":gjidjz06 said:
P1010561.jpg

The man I have to bale hay came and cut three rounds in the field and said there was nothing there so I turned some cows on it. That field has gotten a cumulative 1/2 inch of rain since the first of June.

Time for a new hay man. That is exactly why I have my own eqiupment. You can never get the baleing done when you want it when you depend on someone else.

mnmtranching":2kgpmgrb said:
Looks like it will make decent grazing. I can see it ain't even knee high to the cows. If you start getting rain will there be an opportunity for another cut?

It's not ideal grazing because of the drought stress but it's the best I have available. Cows will do fine on it. I have another field that has been cut and baled. If I get the rain I'll be able to bale that field again. What I had hoped was to have this field baled at the same time as the other and be done with baleing for the year, but that didn't happen.

hurleyjd":2kgpmgrb said:
Time for a new hay man. That is exactly why I have my own eqiupment. You can never get the baleing done when you want it when you depend on someone else.

I only need 200 or so rolls a year. Owning equipment to bale 200 rolls a year is not even close to competitive economically with the price I pay for baleing. Now, if the hay man doubled his price, I'd have to think about buying equipment or getting out of the hay business altogether. :D

Looking across a pasture or hay field can be deceiving. What's standing does look pretty good but where he has cut looks as if it is kind of patchy. Sort of like mine looks when cows have grazed earlier in patches and left others that for one reason or another they didn't want. That water sure looks good in the rain gage. Wish you the best.

Cowdirt":1328e0l4 said:
Looking across a pasture or hay field can be deceiving. What's standing does look pretty good but where he has cut looks as if it is kind of patchy. Sort of like mine looks when cows have grazed earlier in patches and left others that for one reason or another they didn't want. That water sure looks good in the rain gage. Wish you the best.

Good observation Cowdirt. Hope my earlier short response didn't put you off. I have a brusque manner at times that I don't appologize for. :D

been getting showers here about every day - every other day for a few weeks now. will send you some.

ga. prime":1hr8qc32 said:
P1010563.jpg

Got a little relief over the weekend. Things are looking up!

Over the last couple days we have gotten four inches of rain according to the rain gauge. It is supposed to rain again tomorrow. I plan on putting out some vaughns bermuda this weekend.

ga. prime":1newokkb said:
Beefy":1newokkb said:
been getting showers here about every day - every other day for a few weeks now. will send you some.

Thanks, Beefy. I'll take all I can get. :D

I'll send you some too. I'm getting hammered. I'm just glad we are only getting 30%. Don't know if we could handle it if the weatherman actually predicted 90%. Guess it would be a flood or something.

Don't know if this is a sign or not but this field did get rained on after these birds came in.
IMG_3818.jpg

Jogeephus":1hsrrylc said:
Don't know if this is a sign or not but this field did get rained on after these birds came in.
IMG_3818.jpg
I hope that isn't what it takes. We were supposed to have a chance of rain Saturday and Sunday.... ah better make that Sunday and Monday............... Oh wait, make that Wednesday thru Sunday. Meanwhile I guess we both will make the same amount of good hay.

Guess I could bale grasshoppers. About all I have right now. Just to see if the baler still works. Would be nice if one of those four tropical waves out in the Atlantic could offer us a little rain! :help:

Latest posts