Not Fun

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Just been a crazy last 48 hours.

Was down at the barn with my daughter riding her horse, that went fine. As we were walking back to the house my husbands horse suddenly squelled and jumped in the air. He got bit in the face by a snake. It got him around 5"-6" above his nose. Got some meds from the vet and got him started on treatment.
Went down yesterday morning to continue his treatment and found areas with pools of blood around the corral.
Son's horse found the only piece of tin siding that was not flush with the barn wall and sliced open his leg above the hoof and below the hock. For some reason I could not find a vet anywhere that would come out here. Our regular vet was away.
Just bandaged his leg up and waited for our vet. He made it later in the day. He decided to just leave it alone until today. Came back and got him doctored up.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but it sounds about par for the course. A horse's speciality is hurting himself, and if he can find a way to do it he will. I hope everything works out ok for you.

It seems like if there is anything around that a horse can get cut up on they will find it. Sorry your horses were injured. How about the snake bite. Was it venomus, you better watch his nostrals, make sure he does not swell and block his ability to breathe. Good luck.
Tom.

Tom I wasn't about to walk out in the tall weeds to find out if it was poisonous or not. Just treated him like it was.
A few more days and then we change the treatment on the cut horse. Couldn't stitch the cut because of where it was.

I luv herfrds":2pp5o03i said:
Tom I wasn't about to walk out in the tall weeds to find out if it was poisonous or not. Just treated him like it was.
A few more days and then we change the treatment on the cut horse. Couldn't stitch the cut because of where it was.

Please do not misunderstand me, I know you did all you could. I was just concerned that your horse would swell and loose ability to breathe. I would not go out into the tall grass looking for a snake eather. Good luck with the horses.
Tom.

I swear a horse can invent more ways to get hurt!! Usually just before a show :( Hope all goes well and you're back rideing them soon. Do keep an eye out for those snakes!

Tom had a mare get bit by a rattler just to the right of her right nostril. We hauled her into the vet. Had those plastic syringe covers with us, we had cut off one end just in case she swelled up so bad she couldn't breathe. So I do know what you are talking about.
It was a fairly small snake that bit him and it was where the skin covers the skull so the snake couldn't pump much venom into him, thank goodness. :D :D

I know Peg. Those dang things are moving around like crazy right now. I just can't go riding right now because of the antibiotic I am on now. :( :( The sun would really get me good.

Well an update.
The snake bit horse is doing just fine. Acting like the crazy bronc he is.

Cut horse has got a very long road ahead of him to heal up.
Has been seen by 2 different vets and he is still slow to heal. Took him to the farrier to get his shoes changed and got a surprise. The cut went down the heel of his hoof through that part of the cornea band and just missed cutting into the frog.
Shoer has advised me to change the treatment.
Soak his hoof in warm water with epson salt for a half hour twice a day. Take a tooth brush and clean the cut running through the hoof and treat with hydrogen peroxide twice. take a 4x4 gauze pad and put nitropherizon on it and apply to complete wound. treat this way for a week.
The following week treat the wound with Underwood wound treat and baking powder. Continue soaking hoof and keep the cut on the bottom as clean as possible.
Repeat the first weeks treatment.

He thinks it will take around 8 months for the cut in the hoof to heal.

Here is a picture I took a few of days ago at the start of this new treatment. This is the bottom of his hoof, you can see the cut running through the heel and it is in line with the frog, but luckily it went to the right. I can no longer see the cut throgh the hoof since I was able to scrub the black stuff out of the cut.
hoof004.jpg

Here is the side of his hoof.
hoof001.jpg

Latest posts